rosaline III

rosaline smooths out the creases of her white satin two-piece and puts on her favourite cat-eye sunglasses. applying christian louboutin sheer gloss to her lips, rosaline plants a rose bud in the sky before leaving her apartment.

today, the panels from the cruise ships near the deck reflected every colour, soaking the audience in a palette of neon.

strawberry soul girls with pink glitter eyelids dangled their legs from the edge of the deck, drinking the sun's kisses in crystal glasses.

rosaline leaned on the rail of the deck; this was her favourite place to watch the sun set.

"rosaline?"

rosaline turned her head to the side to find a familiar sand coloured soul boy leaning beside her.

" oh it's you again "

the boy smiled " what are you doing out here "

" the sun set is always the prettiest out here " rosaline sat and dangled her legs off the edge inhaling the cotton night breeze. the boy sat beside her.
" i thought you said you weren't staying for long " she looked towards the boy, who skimmed a nearby pebble into the warm sea.

" i'm not. i'm leaving tonight "

" why? "

he shrugs " i don't really like staying in the same place, i guess it's because i always miss home "

" where's your home? "

" far "

rosaline sighs " so you won't tell me your name or where you're from "

" i'm sure i've told you my name "

" you haven't " rosaline removed her heels, placing them carefully on the glass table beside her and dipped her feet into the sea, ripples formed in the water " i would have remembered "

the boy turned to look at rosaline with his head tilted to the side.

rosaline turned to find the boy staring straight at her, she watched as the wind pushed his glossy hair over his eyes. she reached out to tuck it behind his ear.

the boy grinned and caught rosaline's hand in his own. " if i tell you my name will you let me call you rose "

rosaline looked at her small hand in his much larger one and
smiled " okay "

the boy stood, pulling rosaline up too. her head reached his chest, so she had to lift her gaze to reach the mischievous glint in his own.

rosaline furrowed her eyebrows when he placed his velvet blazer on the glass table, beside rosaline's heels. his hands came around her waist.
" what are y- "

the boy lifted rosaline, before jumping into the sea. her arms held his shoulders, to hoist herself up, as she gasped for air. the boy could taste saltwater on his lips as he tried to hold back a laugh. rosaline held onto him as if her life depended on it.

rosaline's damp strands of inky hair clung to her face, and she looked at the boy trying to suppress a smile. his lips looked so warm. rosaline felt her stomach tingle, as the boy's laugh vibrated through the evening's air. she couldn't help but smile, and rested her head on his shoulder, to see the sun kissing the sea.

the boy turned himself, just enough to watch the sun setting, though he'd rather watch rosaline instead.

when the sun disappeared below the horizon, the boy lifted rosaline back up to the deck, before lifting himself up beside her. rosaline got up, to find the crowds of people gone, and put on her heels.

" here "

the boy wrapped his blazer around her shoulders, and rosaline sighed when warmth and the strong smell of musk enveloped her.

" thanks "

the boy nodded " i'll walk you home "

" so you can throw me in the water again ? "

he chuckled " only if you want me to "

rosaline scoffed and walked towards the direction of her apartment. when she didn't hear the boy's footsteps behind her she stopped and turned back to find him standing near the deck, staring after her.

" aren't you coming ?"

the boy smiled and walked to stand beside her. it was dark out, the only source of light from the street lamps and the stars.

" so after today you're going home ? "

his hand reached back to scratch his neck " i don't know yet. i wanna go home, but i want to do something before i do, maybe fall in love, you know "

rosaline nodded her head, though she didn't know at all.

" don't you ? "

" wanna go home ? this is my home "

" no, fall in love "

" oh...i'm not quite sure "

the boy nodded, his head dropped towards the ground as if he was deep in thought. rosaline didn't understand why she felt the urge to hold his hand, but she did it anyway. he responded immediately by entwining his fingers in hers, and moving closer so their shoulders brushed eachother's while they walked.

" well this is me " they both stood outside the door to rosaline's apartment, staring at their hands grasped in one another's. rosaline let go of his hand to take off the blazer.
" here, thanks again for letting me wear it "

he smiled and took it
" you're welcome "

" so i guess this is goodbye "

" hmm i guess this is "
he hesitated before taking her hand and raising it to his lips.

rosaline's heart fluttered and she felt her cheeks grow pink.

" goodbye dear rose "

rosaline smiled, walking through the door of her apartment. suddenly remembering, she ran up the stairs to the balcony. rosaline spotted the familiar golden glow.
" hey "

he turned around to find rosaline leaning on the edge of the balcony to her apartment.

" you never told me your name "

he smiled 
" dantè "

he waved before turning away, rosaline stared after him. she didn't realise she was holding something. the boy was now gone, and in his place (her hand) a rose.

she sighed, elbows resting on the ridge of the balcony.
whispering so quietly not even the sun could hear

" what is love ? "