Chapter One

Proofread?🤔 Lol!😹What's that?😿I apologize for any spelling error you'll come across.🐈 If you do,though, please inform me!🐒
Enjoy💕

____________

Sadiya pushed the dying firewood deeper under the pot. she blew hot air on the scorching wood and watched as the flames rose to life.

she got up and saw her daughter crouhing besides her and watching her.
"Go take a bath. by then,the dumame would be ready," she told her.

"Ok," was all Lami said before getting up and going into the bathroom.

"i told you,you can't carry a full bucket! is it that you don't listen when i talk to you or what?!" Sadiya snapped as she saw Lami struggling with the bucket,before hissing and marching back into her room.

Today was not a good day for her,her chicken has a flu and she's certain her two other poultry would catch it too.

Lami dragged the bucket into the bathroom. there,she saw her mom's chicken wrapped itself in it's feathers, a typical symptom of it's disease.

Lami shooed the chicken away,because her mom told her to not bath in front of anyone so chickens must also count as 'anyone'.

She dragged the door which was leaning on the wall next to the entrance of the bathroom. the door broke off from it's hinges,so it had to be dragged over to the entrance and propped in place. Lami always struggle with the door,but she was used to it.

******

There wasn't much to eat that morning. "just eat it all," Lami's older sister, Baraka, said pushing her plate of food towards Lami.

"Ha'ah? Baraka! this is all we have fah! there's no guarantee that we'll eat again today," Sadiya scolded.

"It's okay, mama. Nana shares her food with me,it's enough for both of us to eat," Baraka said,smiling.

Lami was more than happy to eat both her share and her sister's.
their father was not in town,he traveled out of Kyauta town to Sunda town,where his brother lives. They were in dire need of money because Mallam Ali was jobless.

His brother though, Mallam Isa had a job that pays a decent amount of cash.

He usually sends money to Mallam Ali,but this month,there was neither money nor a message to explain what was happening. so Mallam Ali set out to his brother's house to find out what was going on.

******
Her stomach drops every time she sees her school gate. The Kyauta Primary School is the first primary school built in town and up to date,it is the best. So all the kids from different social class attend the school.

This makes it a bother for kids in a lower social class because they were treated as outcasts.

Lami, coming from the poorest family in her class was treated very badly by the some of her classmates. The rest that don't bully her just ignore her. So Lami never had a friend in school.

She doesn't care though, she never liked anyone in the school to even consider befriending him/her.

******
'Being poor is not an excuse to be dirty'

That was what Lami's mom always says. So Lami was never dirty.

Her mates were always disappointed whenever she wasn't called out in front of the assembly ground on Mondays like the rest of the dirty students.