TWENTY | restart the game

Start from the beginning

It was against Pike's orders, what she wanted. But Bellamy couldn't obey them, she was going to lose her father and he helped Pike put Kane in that situation. The least he could do was give her time alone time she needed. With a short, sad nod, Bellamy let her walk away.

Maybe Bryan was right, maybe the only person she needed protecting from was him.

***

Carter wasn't sure how much time had passed once she was in the confines of her room. She hoped to have bumped into Steven on her way, but he was nowhere to be seen, so instead, she did what she said she would do and wrapped herself in the solitude she thought she needed.

Turns out, she definitely didn't need that.

Dwelling on everything that had happened, Carter wanted nothing more than the comfort of Bellamy, but since she still had no idea what side he was really on. She hoped that maybe her inkling was right, that he had changed his tune once Pike started to take the lives of their own into his hands, but she didn't want to bet on it. It seemed to be a constant yo-yo effect with him; just as she thought he was seeing sense, it was like he was reeled back in by Pike.

Falling back onto her bed, she huffed with discontent, bringing the collar of her jacket up to her nose and inhaling deeply. She sought comfort in it, and although she couldn't smell much other than smoke from the campfires, it always took her back to that brief moment on Earth when everything seemed to be okay, not great, but okay. Back to when she and Bellamy merely regarded each other as friends that didn't quite know they were after more than that. Sitting back up, Carter reached for her pack and opened it, digging right to the bottom until her fingers brushed against what felt like card.

Smiling sightly, she pulled it out and scanned the photos with a longing gaze. The one of everyone from camp was one that never failed to make her grin. Everyone she considered family was in that picture, all still alive and all smiling-- even if she wasn't looking the right way. Her eyes caught a familiar face and her thumb brushed over his grinning face. It was the only picture she had left of her best friend.

"Oh boy Finn, I'd really like to know what you would do if you were still here." She mumbled clutching the picture to her chest. She wasn't talking to the part of Finn that turned, the part that killed innocent Grounders (much like Bellamy) she was speaking to her friend on the Ark, the one that refused to hold and gun and liked the concept of world peace before the war. Suddenly her room began to close in on her and she stood up, heading towards the door. Maybe she could speak to Harper and Miller about everything.

However, when she opened her door she almost gasped when she met Bellamy's dark gaze. He seemed just as surprised, his knuckles raised like he was about to knock when the door opened.

Suddenly feeling flustered, Carter rubbed the back of her neck, "Uh, I promise you I'm not conspiring, I just wanted some air."

Bellamy didn't answer her and for a minute she couldn't read him. And then, his hands came up to cup her face as he brought her in for a kiss, not one that was on her forehead, but one of her lips. She was taken back at first, her eyes wide but she didn't fight it and soon after her eyes closed as she the tension left her body. Just as she started to kiss him back, he pulled away and closed her door so it was just the two of them. When he turned back to face her, he looked so vulnerable, almost broken.

"I'm so sorry, Carter." He breathed, voice shaking. "I... I'm such an idiot."

"You are."

"I couldn't see it at first, Kane even warned me this would happen." Bellamy let out a frustrated growl and Carter took a seat on the edge of her bed, hands in her lap as she watched him pace the small area of her room. "I didn't listen to him, I could have done something and I didn't."