EIGHTEEN | blackmail

sozza for the delay, I was literally dying of an abscess and then I idk what happened tbh.

please upload this time, kmn.

bold= Swedishhh

E I G H T E E N | BLACKMAIL

In all of her life, among every hurdle she had ever encountered, even her brief moments of happiness, Carter had always felt at least a sliver of control of her life, even if it may have been just an illusion. But as she sat on the cold, metallic floor in the confines of her new home, she had never felt so useless, like an extra in her own story.

Everyone seemed to be doing something to help her father revolt, all except for her. Her head rested tiredly against the wall, her feet tucked up as she hugged her knees. Inside the cell she was put in, morale was virtually non-existent, the Grounders barely spoke, and if they did in was in their own language to each other, their voices hushed with defeat. Even Rae barely had the motivation to move from the corner she had tucked herself into. At first, the silence unnerved Carter and she almost any excuse to speak to her peers, but eventually, she grew used to it, spending more time in her thoughts than out of them.
Running a hand over the mass of tangles that was her hair, her head lolled to the side, glancing at Lincoln with a perplexed frown, "Do you think we'll ever get out of here?"

He was silent for a long time, and just as Carter thought he wasn't going to reply, he sighed deeply. "I don't know."

"You know, now that I've been outside and breathed real air, I have absolutely no idea how I spent most of my life staring at the same walls," Carter snorted humorlessly, looking around the very walls, the very place she grew up. "It's actually kind of sad, really."

"It is." Lincoln agreed, nodding his head.
Carter narrowed her eyes into a mock glare as she turned to look at her new friend, "You're not supposed to agree, you know."

Despite his obvious ashen mood, he managed to smile though it didn't quite reach his eyes, "I'm only telling the truth, isn't that what girls usually want?"

"Octavia might," Carter pointed out, "But I prefer to be shrouded in lies if it's for the sake of my ego, thank you." Lincoln laughed at that, it was airy and somewhat forced but it still lifted the atmosphere if not a little. Just as Carter went to correct herself, to tell Lincoln she was actually joking, the sound of heavy footsteps and bated breath caught her attention and she snapped her head towards the cell just in time to Ren gripping onto the bars for support as he gasped for breath.

"Oh my god I shouldn't have ran..." He rushed out, lifting himself up properly to face all of the eyes which were suddenly focused on him. He quickly found the dull green eyes he was looking for and tried his best to catch his breath before he spoke again. "Carter, the Farm Squad are coming for you," He all but blurted, looking uncharacteristically panicked. "Your dad is still planning, but they're coming for you now and I don't know what for, I only heard that they were getting you."

"Wait, what?" She was stood up now, walking towards Ren with a frown. "Why?"

"I literally just said I don't know why," Ren spoke with a hint of annoyance, "Just go along with it, okay? Do what they ask you and I'll find you the moment I know whats happening." Despite being confused beyond all means, Carter nodded regardless and Ren pushed himself away from the bars. "I have to go before they catch me, please don't do anything stupid." Without another word, Ren was off again, gone before Carter had a chance to reply. With furrowed brows, she turned around to see both Rae and Lincoln were looking at her with cocked eyebrows and in return, she simply shrugged. Not even a moment later two guards were in the room, unlocking the door and pulling her out before anyone else had a chance to take advantage of the unlocked door.