Warmth

Lucy stepped out of the bedroom feeling warm and much better. She was in long flannel pajamas with house slippers to keep her feet warm. The shivers were gone, and she felt normal once again. She was glad that while under the spell of the ice, she had lost all sensation, so she did not have to feel the painful ice the entire time. Everything shut down within her but her hearing. She had not even been able to truly think while in that frozen state, but she had heard Gray's voice clearly.

She also heard what was wrong with him. Now that she was better, it was time to take care of him.

She stepped out to see Gray sitting on the couch. His head was in his hand, as if he needed to hold it up, and for a brief moment she saw pain in his pale face. However, as soon as he heard her bare feet step across the cabin's wood floor, he turned around to her with a bright smile. She knew he was hiding the pain of the poison from her. He had lost a lot of color in just a few minutes.

As Gray watched Lucy walk into the living room wearing such cute pajamas, his heart felt heavy. He would have to tell Lucy soon. It was unfair to burden her with his emotions when it was too late for him, but her finding out about how he felt was an accident. He had not realized that she could actually hear him through the ice. According to the countdown timer, he had two more hours of life. From how horrible he felt, it was going to be two hours of torture and a slow, painful death. For as long as he could last, he wanted peaceful happiness for the two of them. He would hold back telling her for as long as possible.

She sat beside him, yet before Gray could point out the steaming cup of tea he made for her, Lucy grabbed the back of his head and kissed Gray hard. His eyes widened at the suddenness, but he relaxed, kissed her back, and let her do what she wanted. She was the one who almost died, after all. If she needed confirmation of life, he would hold her tightly and assure her that she was warm, breathing, and beautiful.

So beautiful!

"What?"

Crap! He realized he had just said that out loud.

Lucy chuckled at his shocked face. "Thank you so much."

"For calling you beautiful? I'm sure many men have said so."

She shook her head. "You fought all the way here."

"I was late."

"You still saved me. It's my turn now."

He blinked in confusion.

She folded her arms together stubbornly. "You're very rude, you know that?"

Gray looked completely lost. "Huh?"

"You made me cry when you ate those bloodberries. I cried myself to sleep that night. Do you really think I'd want you to sacrifice yourself for me? If you do, then you really are an idiot." She placed her hand against his naked stomach. "Is it painful?"

He did not want to admit to the agony he was in that was only getting worse. He had collapsed three times in the kitchen just trying to make her tea. "I'm fine."

"Liar. I glanced at the counter." Her brow tensed. "Can we make it to a town in two hours?"

He sighed and shook his head. "I don't even know how to make it out of this maze. Do you?"

"No," she admitted. "Wisteria never told me that part. I could search for her. You stay here."

She began to stand, but Gray snatched her hand. "Don't go out there!" He yanked her back down onto the couch and threw his arms around her. "Don't leave my side," he begged. "I almost lost you. I don't want you out of my sight."