Chapter 6: Kristopher

Start from the beginning

Adrian: DO NOT use that tone of text with me and don't judge me for being worried.

Me: I'm not judging you for being worried. I'm just saying telling you to stop behaving like a distraught boyfriend when you have a wife and daughter at home. She is no longer your mistress. She is NONE of your business

Adrian: How the hell can you say that to me? She was almost killed by a wannabe serial killer

Me: I understand that, but YOU need to understand that you just got Cheryl and Adriana back, don't lose them again because your ex-mistress went home with someone that tried to kill her

Adrian: Just please look after her, okay? Can you do that for me?

Me: Yes, Adrian, I will

I stuffed my phone back into my pocket, remembering that Maria was locked in her room still, and Eloise hadn't been fed. They were both going to give me hell when I got home in the morning.

I leaned against the back of the chair as Dr. Shields entered the room again.

"I forgot to give you this. It was attached to her body." she said.

In her hands was a plastic bag containing a bloodied note.

"Thank you, Dr. Shields." I replied, giving into my killer charming smile. She turned pink at the cheeks and nodded before turning away. She glanced over her shoulder as she wandered down the hall.

Maybe I did have time.

I looked back at the note feeling cold, calculated rage.

He was even teasing Adrian through notes that way I did. Who the hell was this guy and who the hell did he think he was?

It took all of me not to crumple up the note, it was evidence after all.

I took in a deep breath to calm my boiling emotions. There had to be a separation between both of my lives. Breathe, Kris, breathe.

When they simmered down, I took my seat on the chair again. Audrey must have been under heavy medication, because she was dead to the world the entire night. Dr. Shields would check in every now and then give me a salacious look and leave. Her thought mirrored mine, there was want there, but no time.

Early in the morning, around 6:30 a.m. a light feminine moan pulled my attention to the bed. Audrey was stirring lightly, shakily reaching for her side. I pushed myself out of the chair, slowly walking towards the bed.

From my understanding, she had not been awake since she'd been delivered to the station. With that said, she did not know where she was, or what had happened. Her eyes cracked open, squinting at the dim light.

She tried again, lifting up to her hand to her line of sight. Her eyes widened in horror and she sucked in a breath. Her body trembled as she lifted up to her other hand. The bandaged had turned pink from some blood that had soaked through.

Audrey screamed at the top of her lungs. It was shrill and sent goosebumps over my skin. I hurried to the bed, reaching for her arm. She cut her eyes to me in suspicion then softened in recognition. Tears brimmed immediately and she broke down. A nurse and Dr. Shields burst into the room to see what the commotion was about.

I waved them away to keep Audrey from spotting them. She had gripped my hand, holding onto me for dear life. Sobs wracked through her body resounding with emotion I had never heard from a woman before. Not even the ones I had killed.

Audrey coughed suddenly, reaching for her throat. The rings were still a dark red, so I imagined that her vocal cords were will in pain.

I awkwardly stroked the top of her head, trying to offer soothing words, but I had none. She had lost her fingers and had somehow survived a serial killer. The shock and horror were natural. I had seen it often with my girls.