'Shhh…' Her voice calms me down, so does her hand rubbing my boney back. After a couple of minutes the vomit stays away and I can breathe without needing to gasp for air. When I look at what is left of the chemo, I am happy to see that it is almost half empty. May carefully gets out of my back and stand up to throw the vomit into the toilet. When she's back she sits behind me and read me a book. Her voice calms me down and I fall in a sleepy state of mind.

May's soft lips wake me up. 'Happy hour's over,' she says enthusiastic. 'The doctor is coming down to see how you are doing and if you are feeling okay, you are allowed to come home, isn't that wonderful?'

'It indeed is,' I say, smiling. I hope the doctor will allow me to go home. Maybe we can go and pick up Danielle! I can imagine the look on her sweet angel like face, the surprised expression in her eyes. She is glad to have two mothers, yet I know she will hate me for being a woman instead of a man. She will hate me for the hell I will put her in when she gets older, but the time I spend with her is magical and that overthrows everything.

'Are you feeling sick?' the doctor asks me during the check-up.

'No, I'm feeling, okay.' That isn't a lie, I feel better than I ever did after a chemo session.

'Did any unusual things happen during the session?'

'No, everything went just as it normally will have.'

'Okay, I'm going to discuss everything with the doctor and then you are free to go. I'm glad that you have best friend around here,' the doctor tells me, 'people say that the chemo is bearable if a friend is with them.'

'I am glad I have found a girlfriend around here,' I say, 'although I wish she is completely healthy.'

The doc flushes red and walks out of the room, murmuring that he wouldn't have thought I was lesbian. He speaks the words as if he is angry at me for being in love with the most amazing girl I ever met. Behind me I hear May laugh.

'Did you see his face?' she chuckles, 'as if you told him you murdered someone!' I laugh with her, remembering his face clearly.

'You are free to go,' the familiar voice of my doctor says as he walks in. 'I thought you went home, May.'

'No, I didn't,' she says cheerfully, 'I stayed to support my Cassandra.'

'That's nice of you; I didn't know it is official, congratulations. Relationships between patients are rare, yet so beautiful. Have I told you that I met my wife at the E.R?'

'Only about a dozen times,' I say, smiling.

'Oh, well. Good luck, for the both of you.'

‘Thank you,' we say and walk out.

After a long bus ride home, I am exhausted, may suggests that I take a short nap and then we go and pick up Danielle.  I tell her that is a good idea, lay down in the soft sofa at our apartment and sleep.

May Scott Point of view

As I watch my girl sleep, I feel proud and happy, yet worried. She looks so brittle, fragile. Her skin is almost transparent, letting through the blue color of her veins. She bruises up so easy; I don't want to take her anywhere. I want to lock her up and spoil her. Her eyelids flutter as she breathes in and out, sleeping deep.

'I love you,' I whisper in her ear and slide my hand over her arms. Bones are showing through her skin. As she rolls over to her side, I can see her ribs through her loose shirt that once suited her perfectly. When I met her, she was wearing this shirt and guess what; it did fit her perfectly. It's a shame it doesn't anymore, she looks beautiful wearing that blouse, deadly skinny or not.