Chapter 18 - Awoken

The boys took turns to visit Byul everyday, praying that she'd wake up quickly. The Queen had awoken and is constantly worried about her too.

"Has Byul woken up? She's in no danger, am I right?" She asked Vernon who was sitting beside the bed as the Queen had a apologetic look. "It should've been me to suffer, not her. I placed her in so much pressure ever since I brought her back and made her into the your wife." The Queen sniffed as she choked on the tears falling.

"Mother, this isn't your fault. It was her instinct to protect you as a loyal servant." Vernon hung his head low.

"So are you saying she should have just died?" The Queen exasperated. "No that is not what I meant, Mother." It was difficult for him to explain it. Vernon stood up and excused himself to visit Byul. He walked to Room 17 on the fifth floor and is just in time to see doctors leaving the room.

He hastened his pace, stopping them to question the reason for their presence in the room. "Ms Han has awoken, we will run some tests to make sure there are no more complications." One doctor explained.

"She... will be able to walk, right?" Vernon held his breath. "We can only know after the tests. For now, I'll excuse us." With that, they left and Vernon slide opened the door to see Mingyu, Wonwoo, and Seungcheol chatting with her. She looked up at me and immediately broke the eye contact by bowing her head.

"Your Highness, is Her Majesty doing alright?" She asked in such a small voice it hurt his heart for some reason. Silly girl, shouldn't you be worrying about yourself?

"Hyungs, could you excuse us? I want to talk to her in private." Vernon continued to look at Byul, who still had her head hung low. Without saying anything, the guys in the room stood up and left, but not before sending him a hateful glance. Vernon told himself to ignore it but truth to be told, his heart twisted at the sight of his older brothers hating him for something he didn't intentionally do.

There were so many times when he came to visit Byul and his mother when some they gave him a look of despise. He'd of course act like he had no feelings or whatsoever, but there were times he'd want to shout and ask what on earth did he do to deserve this.

It wasn't like he could control the happenings in future.

"Lift your head, your neck's going to break if you continue sitting in bed and bowing your head." Vernon sighed as he took a seat beside the bed.

"You still have yet to answer my question, Your Highness." Byul spoke, lifting her head to face Vernon. Her expression broke Vernon down internally even more. It looked like she was in so much pain, physically and emotionally. I made her go through all this.

"Shouldn't you be caring about yourself?" Vernon crossed his arms and stared into those weary eyes of hers.

"Your Highness."

"Stop calling me 'Your Highness'! It's... It's hurting me. Seeing you in this state. The last time you had that look was when you lost one of our twins."

"I'm sorry." She apologised as she stared at her hands on her lap.

"Why are you even apologising? It wasn't your fault. I should be the one saying sorry and thank you for saving my mother." Vernon was close to tears at how pathetic they both looked like right now.

"Can we just go back to the time when there was actually love between us?" Vernon was desperate as he finally spoke his heart. Byul sniffed a couple of times.

"You're completely forgetting the fact that I'm still a servant. I'm of no status to love you." Byul looked at him with those eyes of hers.

"Mother is fine. She's recovering fast since she only passed out." Vernon stood up and was about to leave the room when he spoke again, "I've been worried about you for the past weeks you've been unconscious." He then left Byul all alone in the hospital room.

Byul couldn't hold back anymore as tears streamed down her cheeks. She brought a hand to cover her mouth, as if thinking it'll muffle her loud cries of pain as her heart hurt.

Vernon stood lifelessly outside the door as he listened painfully to her. The guys outside stared at him then at the door. Without saying a thing, Seungcheol pushed Vernon aside and entered the room.

"Why are you crying?" Seungcheol stood in front of Byul as she wiped the tears away only to fail and cry harder until she felt a pain in her heart.

"I can't stop. My heart is hurting." She clasped a hand over her heart.

"It's just emotional pain. You'll get over it. I'll find a way to get you out of the Castle." Seungcheol pocketed his hands.

"It's... hurting... Seungcheol..." She could hardly breathe, let alone speak properly as the pain intensified. The monitor started beeping quickly and Seungcheol immediately pressed the emergency button.

Doctors rushed in and administered painkillers. Seungcheol watched as her face relaxed as she was put into a lying position.

As all this happened, Vernon had already left behind everything he felt as he left the hospital the moment he was pushed aside.

I'll just forget you if I can't love you again. -Vernon