Chapter 17 - Arguments

Flashback...

"Get me out of here! Please! You all are actually listening to, to that plastic girl?! Unbelievable!" Byul held onto the metal gates. The guards just ignored her pleas and shouts.

"What is this? Why are you guards here?" Byul looked up and thought it was a miracle, for the Queen was there, staring at her with pity.

"Let her out. This is my command as your Queen."

"Your Majesty, we received orders from Her Highness, Soo Yeon, to lock her up until the wedding is over." A guard bowed before speaking.

"Who is superior, Me or that girl?" The Queen's voice echoed throughout the hallway, sending chills down Byul's spine.

"Sorry, Your Majesty, I'll let her go immediately." A guard came running to the dungeon. After fumbling with a bunch of keys, he pushed the unlocked gate and dragged her out with so much force. Byul was then thrown onto the ground, forced into a kneeling position in front of the Queen. Byul looked down, not sure what the Queen wanted to do with her.

Then the Queen kneeled down to match her eye level. She used her hand to tilt Byul's chin up so she's looking into her eyes.

"Your Majesty...." Byul was unsure whether she should tell her Soo Yeon's plan to execute her.

"Now... I just want you to know, I don't hate you at all. So you don't have to be afraid." The Queen then helped Byul to stand up. Just then a loud bang was heard from a distance, sending the guards running there and leaving the two ladies alone.

"Your Majesty, I have something to tell you-" A guy dressed in black from head to toe came charging at them in full speed, a dagger in hand. Out of instinct, Byul turned her body so she was exposed to the perpetrator's attack.

The dagger dug deep into her flesh as her eyes widened, her mouth hung open but is unable to form words. When the dagger was harshly pulled out she fell forward as the Queen could only stare in shock and fell backwards. The Queen's head came into hard contact with the floor, causing her to lose her consciousness.

Present...

"Her wound cannot be treated here. Call for an ambulance! And I want a few of you to escort the guests out of the Castle." Vernon commanded, sending the guards everywhere.

The reception ended earlier than it was supposed to and guests were leaving the Castle, frightened that such an incident had occured in the Castle itself.

Vernon sat himself in the ambulance as he watch over Byul who was bleeding profusely, unconscious as well.

"The Royal Hospital, right Your Highness?" The driver of the ambulance asked as he drove past the Castle's gates.

"Yes please." Vernon answered as he squeezed Byul's hand, praying for her to be fine.

.
.
.
.
.
The Royal Hospital's a grand hospital with only a few floors, meant for the Royal Family's use only. No one else would be able to enter, unless authorised.

Vernon sat outside the operating room, unable to put his mind and body at ease. He constantly stood up and sat back down, paced back and forth, walked around in circles, until a nurse came and told him about his mother, who arrived before Byul did, that she was doing fine and will wake up after ample rest.

"Thank you." Vernon smiled a little to show his gratitude and the nurse excused herself. He sat down on the bench, burying his face in his hands. He felt somewhat responsible. If only mom didn't force Byul to work as servant in exchange of not getting custody of the kids. He thought as he sighed loudly.

Sounds of footsteps broke the silence as 12 men made their way towards the operating theatre a few hours later.

"Yah, Chwe Hansol, what did you do this time to hurt her?" Mingyu, who had been close to Byul for the longest time along with Wonwoo, grabbed Vernon by the collar and shook him violently. Vernon had his eyes down, unable to meet the eyes of his older friend.

"Mingyu, calm down and let go of Vernon. It's not his fault. It was his wedding reception, he wouldn't have known anything." Jeonghan stepped in and pried Mingyu's hands off. Mingyu glared and stood far away, sighing deeply.

"Vernon, can you explain? Some of us didn't attend your wedding." Joshua sat beside Vernon.

Vernon then told everyone what had happened and there was a moment of silence where no one knew what to say, until Chan spoke, "I find this weird, like why is Byul and Her Majesty even at the dungeon?"

"If you're having weird thoughts, disregard them." Seokmin stared at Chan weirdly.

"Hyung! You said you won't disregard my thoughts! Look what you're doing now!" Chan was upset, whereas Seokmin just rolled his eyes.

"We don't know the truth yet, so it's best not to jump into conclusions," Soonyoung patted the maknae's back.

After all the commotion, the doors of the operating theatre opened and the doctors came out, looking worn out.

"Is everything okay?" Mingyu was the first to ask as he was standing closest to the doors. The doctor removed his mask and sighed.

"The operation went well, but we can't guarantee that she can walk properly as the dagger went in deep and it damaged a nerve we barely fixed. We can only find out when she wakes up and pray that everything is well. Excuse me for now." The doctor then left with his team of other surgeons.

"Wow, now she might not be able to walk." Mingyu wanted to shout in frustration.

"Don't say that. She'll be able to. We just need to pray for that and her speedy recovery." Wonwoo patted his back.

"Listen up Hansol, if she isn't able to walk it'll be all your fault." Mingyu glared, his eyes boring in Vernon's.

"Why is it my fault? Why are you blaming me for something I didn't want to happen?" Vernon couldn't take it anymore, his patience running out due to the constant accusations.

"You failed to protect her. You've hurt her many times."

"HYUNG! You think I wanted to hurt her? I'm sorry to say that you're wrong because I genuinely loved her, even though she ran away from me. I thought it was the best for her to break away from the Royal family for some time that's why I didn't send guards looking for her and create a scene. Why can't you just listen for once?!" Vernon was ready to lunge at Mingyu but the guys held him back, not wanting to create a scene.

A nurse then came and interrupted the arising fight, "Han Byul's acquaintances? She's on the fifth floor, room 17, you may visit her. Oh a few at a time so as to not overcrowd."

"Thank you." Seungcheol bowed a little and then sent a glare towards two men, specifically Mingyu and Vernon.

"Let's go." He ordered and walked away first, the rest trailing behind him.