6.

Carmen walked for half an hour, along the trails, past the lakes and rivers and through forestlands that seemed to go on forever. Every now and then she glanced behind her to see Godfry helping Harmony along, either holding onto her hand to comfort her or talking calmly and politely to her, to keep her spirits up. They both knew that if she panicked and started freaking out, they would get caught and neither of them could risk it. So while Carmen led the way, Godfry took control of babysitting Harmony, and it was just as well because the whole place surrounding them seemed to be a confused plan of a million places all swept up together. But, she kept walking in the hope that she’d see something familiar and find their way back to her group.

It was starting to get dark already and she had no idea of what time it was, or even if anyone had noticed that three of their group were missing. By the time Holloway or Ms Carre did a head count at bedtime, it would be too late for a search party and Carmen didn’t doubt that they would be too far away to find quickly. It was then, as those thoughts overtook her, that she found the rock pool, her saviour. They were trying to contain their supplies, by not taking too much at a time, in case they were lost for more than three days, which seemed the case at the moment, but doing so meant that they were all parched and starving. “Okay guys…this looks good for now. We’ll stop here for a break, get a drink and then head on a little further.” Carmen called over her shoulder, only to notice that Godfry was carrying Harmony, who looked like she had passed out. When had that happened? With a sigh, she helped him by taking the two backpacks from over his shoulder and advised him to set Harmony down by the pool. The water was a clear blue and she didn’t doubt that with a drink to refresh themselves, Harmony would feel better and they could keep going.

“Thanks. I could use a drink myself.” Godfry gasped in gratitude as he took a seat on a rock and cupped two handfuls of the crystal blue water into his mouth. He listened to Carmen’s plan uncritically, the weight of his part in getting them lost weighing on his shoulders. And when she asked when Harmony had passed out, while she dribbled water over unconscious lips, he had no interest in acting the hero. “About an hour back. She tripped on a stone and stubbed her toe, so she kicked it away. It hit a frog and when it hopped forward, she fainted outright. She probably read that article about the poisonous frog and freaked out.” He laughed it off gently, as Carmen watched him closely. She agreed that Harmony had overreacted but that they were in unusual surroundings in impossible circumstances and so a little overreaction wasn’t too badly thought of. And Godfry didn’t seem to be complaining.

Carmen sat down by the pool and took a drink of the water as she dumped her backpack at the side and washed her face, enjoying the coolness of the water. She was beginning to wish she had worn something a little more comfortable. Her shorts were sticking to her with the combination of the unbearable heat and the sweat dripping off her, and her top was clinging to her in the most awkward places. She’d considered taking it off, but with Godfry around, there was no saying what he’d say or do about her walking around in her bra. She didn’t want to think about it, so she didn’t do it. She knew it would only lead to trouble.

Getting up from where she was sitting, she stretched out and lifted her bag, ready to continue on in the direction she was heading, making mental notes of things she could recognise if she had to come back this way. Or knowing her luck, if she ended up going round in circles. But she had to face it sooner or later…they were well and truly lost and there was no one to help her find her way. Almost on cue, Harmony came to, and when she turned to see if she was alright, Carmen smiled at how Godfry’s hand hovered over her cheek, obviously ready to slap her again if she didn’t surface. She supposed it wasn’t his fault; he was just as exhausted and thirsty as she was but he had the added weight of carrying her. It wasn’t a task Carmen considered easy, despite how light Harmony was, so she kept quiet and urged them on again, hopeful of finding somewhere safe they could spend the night.