Chapter 28: The Confession - Part 2

Dedicated to @zarummai123 for getting the first comment in last week :)

"What plan, Cassidy? And who's 'he'?" Dad asked.

Cassidy rested her forearms against the table. "Killing Chase was never part of my original plan. Chase was the 'he' by the way. I had everything planned to work out for both of us. I would go to Harvard, and he would go to Stanford on scholarship. It was perfect, until his guilt got in the way."

The door near me and Jonas burst open and a middle-aged, dark-haired woman walked in. She wore a business suit and held a briefcase in her hand. I immediately recognized her as Cassidy's mother.

"Where's my daughter?" she asked.

I hesitantly pointed to the glass, and her eyebrows scrunched in anger. She strode into the interrogation room, stopping Cassidy from continuing.

"What is going on here, Cassidy? The nanny calls me saying that you left with some police officer, and then I find you here being interrogated!"

Dad immediately stepped in. "Mrs. Taylor, your daughter was in the middle of confessing to a crime. Now, please, if you could just stay in the lobby--"

"I will be representing my daughter. I'm a lawyer."

"My mom knows Mrs. Taylor," Jonas whispered. "She said she's a very aggressive attorney."

"That's not good," I replied.

Cassidy quickly stood up from her chair and turned toward her mother. "Mom, I don't want a lawyer."

"Don't be ridiculous!" Mrs. Taylor said. "You've done nothing wrong! I'm sure this whole thing is a misunderstanding."

"Mom, I came here voluntarily. I can't hide from them anymore. It's over for me. I'm so sorry." Tears now slid down her cheeks.

"Wh-what? What are you talking about?"

"I've done something bad, Mom, and I know Harvard won't take me in," her voice now high-pitched.

"No! You're on your way to Harvard! You're going to be successful! This all has to be some mistake--"

"Yes, Mom! It was a mistake! My mistake! Now, I don't want a lawyer. Please, leave, Mom. Just go. Tell Dad and Liam I'm sorry. Goodbye." Cassidy sank back into her chair, stared down at her feet, and let the tears fall.

Mrs. Taylor didn't say another word even though her mouth remained open.

"Mrs. Taylor," Dad said, "I think it's best you leave now."

She turned away, clutching her briefcase to her chest. She walked out the interrogation room door, past Jonas and me, and walked towards the lobby. Meanwhile, Cassidy continued to sniffle not only from her allergies, but also from the separation she now had to face between her and her family.

"Are you ready to continue?" Dad asked.

Cassidy nodded, wiping away the remaining tears. "Like I said before, killing Chase was not part of my original plan. Everything was going well for the two of us. I actually pictured the two of us having a long-lasting relationship."

"What changed that view?"

"It started last year when I was a junior. It was time to take the SAT, and I studied my butt off. My parents got me the best tutors possible, but I had a problem: I'm not exactly good at test taking, especially standardized ones. I get average grades in school, but I took the PSAT a few years ago, and I totally botched it. Anyways, even with all that work, I got an 1150 on the SAT. I did even worse on my SAT subject tests."

"What's so bad about that?"

"Isn't it obvious? All my life, my parents have been preparing me to get into a top school, specifically Harvard like my mom. You think an 1150 is going to get me there? Some kids get perfect scores, and they still don't get in!"

"So what happened next?"

"I had to get it changed, of course," she scoffed. "I know someone who can change the scores in the system. I gave them a call, and voila, I got a 1550. They raised my subject test scores too."

"Why not a perfect score?"

"I figured my parents would think something was up if I got a perfect score on that thing. I figured my extracurricular activities would make up for the fifty points, and I was right. I got my acceptance letter a few months ago, but then things got complicated."

"How so?"

"Well, Chase and I were, of course, pretty close, and he knew how I did with tests. He kept on bringing it up, like he didn't trust me."

"I think he was right not to."

"Yeah, I guess so. Chase was always too smart for his own good."

"Did he find out about the score changes?"

"He kept on pressing me about, so yeah, I told him."

"How did he react?"

"The way any other uptight kid would react: he flipped. He couldn't 'believe I could do something like this.' He wouldn't calm down about it, and then he threatened to let the proper authorities know if I didn't come clean first."

"What did you say to that?"

"I told him that there was another option."

"Which was?"

"Something almost every football player thinks will improve his performance."

A/N: Hey, peeps! Okay, Part 2 is done! I'm not sure how many more parts will be needed for the confession. I'd say one or two? So...(maybe it's obvious), but what do you think Cassidy did to keep Chase quiet? Comment your guesses! And don't forget to VOTE AND SHARE this story!

FIRST VOTE/COMMENT GETS A DEDICATION NEXT WEEK!!!

Till next time,

-shalom900