Chapter 11: Jewel Shores

Zacznij od początku

"Follow me, there are more splendid things to see here than the birds." He showed her forward and they continued walking. He explained to her that the Noldor had built the city itself as a gift to their Telerin friends. "Our two kindreds have been allies since they woke." He smiled and bowed to a passing Falmari maiden as he educated Eve. "And so we have pledged to always be. Our kings maintain a strong friendship."

"King Finwë and King Olwë, right?" Eve tried to recall what she'd learned. It took her a moment but she had more questions. "When the Kings die, who succeeds them?"

Findekáno looked at her in surprise. "We do not even think of such things. For none of our Kings shall die unless killed, and that will not happen. All is good now." He paused and his voice tightened. "But Fëanáro... pardon, Lord Fëanáro, he is Finwë's heir. Lord Telepso is Olwë's."

"Everyone gets twitchy when I ask bout Lord Fëanáro," Eve said, narrowing her eyes. She began to walk backwards to she could see Findekáno's face more easily. "Why?"

"I-" he paused and shut his mouth, his face darkening. "I should not speak of this."

"I want answers, and you told me never to apologize for asking questions," Eve reminded him with a smirk.

He sighed and nodded. "Very well. You use my words against me." They had reached the docks and he gestured to a short half wall. "Sit."

They both sat down on the cool marble. Eve waited for him to start. It took several moments of silence where she assumed he was formulating his explanation.

"Lord Fëanáro is Finwë's first son, by way of his first wife Lady Míriel. She gave up her life upon Fëanáro's birth, or so it is explained." He frowned then. "She was the first of the Eldar to die in Valinor. It shook everyone. Finwë then married Indis, of the Vanyar, my grandmother. She wore him two sons and two daughters, one being my father, Nolofinwë."

Eve stopped him. "I haven't met him yet, right?"

Findekáno chuckled in response. "No."

"Go on."

He nodded. "Fëanáro resents my father and uncle. He is haughty and quick to anger, and often reminds our families of his superiority as the first son." Findekáno shot her a glance. "Did he treat you well?"

"Yeah, he was fine." Eve bit her lip trying to recall their brief interaction. "Maybe he's just in pain."

"I remind myself this, yes." Findekáno agreed quickly and stood, walking a step away from her. He turned back offered her his hand. "Come. Let's get you breakfast."

To his pleasant surprise, she accept his help up,taking his hand until steady, and they meandered down the walkway to a seaside bakery. When they stood to order their breakfasts, Findaráto came striding in.

"Thought I would find you here," he said with a chuckle. Turning to Eve he explained, "Whenever Finno visits, he comes here."

"It is without fail the best bakery in all of Elvendom," Findekáno declared, causing the baker to laugh and thank him. Finno turned back to the others. "And it is the only one in Alqualondë to not use fish products."

"This is true," Findaráto agreed. "Come, choose a pastry, my friends."

In the end, Eve chose a muffin with some sort of blue berry in it, which she hoped was actually similar to blueberries. Findekáno selected a croissant style breakfast item. They did not sit to eat, as Findaráto eagerly insisted they walk down to the beach.

Together they walked, an elf to either side of Eve. She did not yet fully consider herself one of them; in her heart she clung to the idea that maybe she wouldn't have to stay here forever. As they wandered down the docks and saw the sailors prepping the swan ships for departure, she paused.

Findaráto turned to her. "What troubles you?"

She shook her head. Nothing about the image troubled her, it was her entire predicament. She had been in Valinor three days at least, but it felt like ages. She wanted to go home. Eve wished, looking at the beautiful dock and exquisitely shaped ships, that she could say she hated the sea. She had hated the ocean at home. But she couldn't say that here. And yet all she could bring herself to say was, "Nothing. I'm good."

"By 'I'm good, do you mean to say 'okay or alright'?" Findaráto tried to work out her way of speaking. "I'm good...?"

"Yeah, that's what I meant," she nodded. Whether or not Findo bought her quick reassurance, she didn't know, but she felt quite certain that Findekáno did not. She avoided making eye contact with him. After taking another bite of the muffin she posed a question. "So where this crazy pretty beach you keep talking about?"

"We are almost to the first bit," Findaráto told her as they walked along. "Right down this way."

They reached the end of this row of the haven and took stairs to the right. Down onto a pale beach they went, and Eve stopped right before her feet would hit the sand itself. When they looked at her in question she explained simply. "I don't like sand. It gets everywhere."

Findekáno rolled his eyes with a stupid grin in his face. "It's cool, as you say. The sand will not get in your riding boots."

"But it'll get on the dress," Eve shot back. "And then it'll get in my bag and on everything, and it'll ruin Nerdanel's stuff!"

"Hold your dress above the sand!" Findekáno insisted.

Eve huffed at him, glaring with all her might. But he could be as stubborn as she and Eve decided to pick her battles. This was not one of them. "Fine. Damn you."

Finno burst out laughing. "Language, Eve."

"Oh that's not even a bad word," she object, picking up her dress and stepping into the sad with her boots securely on her feet. They urged her down towards the crystal blue water which faded into darkness.

Findaráto bent down and picked up a palm full of damp sand. Eve held up her hand and swore that if he threw it she would murder him. But the cousins merely laughed and insisted she look at the sand.

"The beaches of Alqualondë have tiny flecks of jewels," Findaráto explained. "Look, see here. Ruby, sapphire, amethyst, diamond."

She gasped and saw what he meant. The sand glittered in the elven prince's hand. With a grin, Eve looked at them. "That's amazing."

They spent another hour at the docks, visiting the stalls and wares, but nothing stuck out to Eve. She knew they would've bought pretty much anything for her had she asked, and it was for that reason exactly she wanted nothing. After the hour was up, and lunch came, they headed up to the palace again. At this point Eve had forgotten all about her earlier panic attack from the dreams. Now she wanted to enjoy the beauty.