Anxiety begins to grow in my being at her scrutinizing glare but I feel myself take a breath when I hear Alex speak to my mind.

Don't be afraid of her. You are far better than her in every way.

I don't hide the smile that fills my lips and I raise my chin higher in defiance.

"Have you come to side with us and show your support? Or are you here for some other reason?" Alex almost commands toward Sabina and I notice her shift her weight uncomfortable before raising a brow.

"I have come to talk." She says perfectly before moving her gaze from Alex to me and back again. "Alone."

.....

We enter the conference room that Alex and our most trusted people occupied not even an hour ago and I watch Sabina intently. She strides inward and glances around the room before clasping her hands in front of her and holding her head high. Leif follows suit and stands protectively next to her as his white wolf Odin stays at the doorway, resting but on alert.

Alex and I steal a quick glance before we both stand united and ready to hear what Sabina has to say.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Alex asks with his arms crossed against his strong chest.

"I was hoping that we could speak a little more privately." Her eyes do not fall on me as she speaks but instead stare only at Alex.

"Evie is my partner in this war and in this life so there is not a chance she is leaving my side, ever."

I feel pride rise in my throat as I try to hide the wide grin that wants to be prominently displayed on my face right now. He is not only 100% right but it would also take a small army to remove me from this spot.

Sabina lets out a puff of air and her gaze falls to Leif with uncertainty.

"I think you are making a mistake with this war. Cailen is strong and his followers are many. I don't believe that either of you will make it out alive. Especially you." Her eyes direct their attention to me as she speaks her last words and I can tell that has already underestimated me. Everyone usually does.

I listen in on Alex hoping to get a readout of what he might say but am met with nothing. He has had no reaction at all to her words and seems a bit bored right now.

"If that is what you came here to say then feel free to leave." Alex's voice is cold, and his stance is even colder. He holds no candle for his maker and clearly wishes she were somewhere else.

"Aodhan, please- "she starts but is immediately cut off.

"My name is Alex. It has been for centuries and you would know that if you stuck around like a maker should." Alex spits in an angered tone.

Sabina takes a visual gulp but lets a small smile fill her face.

"You had Cailen and Keavy. I didn't think my presence was necessary anymore."

"So, you decided to leave three new vampires to the world by themselves? What sentiment you must have."

Alex's eyes roam up and down Sabina's frame causing her to shift her weight uncomfortably for a moment before he turns his eyes to me. He then sets his hand on my lower back and begins to usher us both toward the door.

"Aodhan please, you cannot win this war easily. You must know that." Her voice sounds desperate as she pleads with us to understand.

A wave of anger rushes through Alex and sends a shiver down my spine as he turns his violent stare toward Leif.

"Is this why you brought her here? To reason with me?" Leif's gaze doesn't waver nor does his stance. Alex then turns his attention back to Sabina. "I don't know why I even bothered to find you. You never even wanted to turn me into a vampire so why would you hold any remnants of love for me."

I want to tell Leif and Sabina to leave. I want them gone so that I can reach out and touch the man that I love. Comfort him without the scrutiny of their gaze. I want him to tell me everything about when he was first turned and Sabina himself so that I can pass judgement on her just like she has passed judgement on me. Most of all, I want to be there for Alex in any way he needs.

"I love every single vampire that I have made in my own ways." Her voice is so soft that I almost miss it. "Yes, it's true. I did not want to turn you. Your brother begged me to when he almost killed you by accident. I did it for him. Just like I turned Keavy for you when you brought her to me. But I have always had a place for you in my heart. Always."

Alex's rage begins to dissipate as Sabina speaks until he lets out an audible sigh.

Sabina slowly takes a step forward until she is close enough to rest her hand gently on Alex's shoulder.

"I would not have come to you if I did not care about you. I don't want to see any of my children die a needless death but if you feel this war is essential then I won't stop you. But I cannot participate either."

"Then why come at all?" Alex whispers.

"To see for myself. I have always had eyes on you over the years to see how you and your brother have evolved but I didn't believe it when I heard that a woman has helped bring back the humanity that you lost after the ordeals in Zone Zero. I wanted to see her for myself."

Her gaze then falls to me as I stop myself from having my reaction show.

Sabina's gaze at me softens until a small smile tugs her lips upwards.

"Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can win this war."