Chapter 23 - What Happens At Home

Start from the beginning

Michael drops him to the floor without any shred of delicacy. Onai winces when his wounds make contact with the rug.

"Is my family in danger?" Michael glares down at him. What is he doing?

Onai doesn't say anything to him at all. He just glares. Then he looks at me, about to open his mouth.

"Don't look at her." Michael bends down to his level. "Look at me. I'm your problem right now."

I nearly smack my forehead. He's seriously doing this? I hand Onai his jacket so at least he doesn't have to deal with Michael's craziness in the nude.

Onai doesn't even register it. He's too busy holding eye contact with Michael. "This is the last time I'll ask you to get away from—"

"Watch yourself now." Michael waves one of Mom's necklaces in his face.

My eyes widen. Where'd he even get that from? What's he doing?

Onai narrows his eyes. "Get that away from me."

"I know. It's silver." Michael smirks. "Werewolves hate silver. I've just been waiting to use this."

Onai smacks it out of his hand. "That's a myth."

Omg. "Michael," I almost scream. "Onai's not the enemy. He saved my life."

Michael's head snaps in my direction. "Annoying programming guy saved your life?"

I look down at Onai, shook. "He's your annoying programming partner?"

Michael nods. Onai gives us dirty looks. It all makes sense now. Wow. Small world.

Onai clenches his fists suddenly, biting his arm to, I don't know what. Focus on something other than the pain? Muffle out his screams? He's actually leaving more wounds though. As if the three large claw marks to his side, along with all the other injuries, weren't bad enough. He looks bad. Really bad. I don't know what to do.

"Hey..." Michael gives him a wary look. "You're not really dying are you?"

No response.

I look at Michael, wide-eyed.

He takes one look at me and says, "Don't freak out."

Too late. I drop to Onai's side, shaking him a little. "Onai, are you okay?"

He just groans and tries to move away from me. He mutters something under his breath while rubbing his eyes, red from the injuries I gave him.

My heart drops. "... I'm so sorry," I say under my breath. He probably wouldn't be like this if he hadn't had to protect me in the first place. It's kind of all my fault.

Michael gives me a sympathetic look. "You said he helped you, right?"

I nod.

"You're not lying, right?"

I shake my head.

"Alright." Michael bends down. "Let's figure out how to help him."

For the first time since all of this started, I feel relieved. I prepare myself, ready to use my one year of optional healthcare experience. I look towards Michael, but he's not saying anything.

"Michael?" I ask.

He slowly reaches for Onai's jacket from my hands. "First thing's first, let's not get distracted children." He tosses the jacket over Onai's private part. "Jesus."

"Michael." I stare at him, horrified. "He could be dying!"

Onai growls suddenly as if coming back from the dead. "Would you two shut up already? I'm trying to make sure no one's coming to kill us. Either help me or..." he gestures for us to give him space.