008

CHAPTER 8
THE UPSIDE DOWN

CHAPTER 8THE UPSIDE DOWN

_____

   The war had begun.

The three teenagers had a battle plan set and already taken off for preparation. They left the school immediately, and got to work once they snuck into the police station, taking back their monster hunting supplies. The fear hadn't set in yet, all there was left was determination and strive.

They were all working on separate things at separate times, focusing on their tasks. It was already almost prepared within an hour, until they had the final step.

"Remember-" Jonathan was about to explain the plan, but Laurel knew it like the back of her hand.

"Straight into Will's room, and-"

"Don't step on the trap," Nancy added on.

Laurel continued the explanation. "Wait for the yo-yo to move-"

"Then..." Jonathan trailed off, flicking open the lighter in his hands.

Laurel couldn't wait to burn that son of a bitch to the ground.

"Alright...you guys ready?" Jonathan asked, holding out the three sets of knives in his hand. Laurel couldn't help but feel more afraid about cutting herself than the actual monster that loomed underneath their world.

Laurel and Nancy shared a knowing look before nodding simultaneously.

Handing them out, Laurel grabbed hers and placed it over her palm with a trembling hand.

"One...two...you don't have to do this Laurel-"

"Jonathan shut up."

"I'm just saying-"

"Three!" Laurel interrupted for the second time, trying not to think about it when she pushed the knife downwards, slicing it across her palm. Wincing through gritted teeth, her whole body shivered as the slice burned through her skin. It was way worse than any paper cut she'd endured, which she thought was the worst feeling ever.

"Holy shit that hurts..." Nancy mumbled, holding her trembling hand. Laurel nodded in agreement as Jonathan quickly handed each of them their bandages. Hopefully this was enough blood for the creature to smell.

"Okay, let me just double check everything," Jonathan said after bandaging up his hand, disappearing down the hall.

Laurel sat herself down on the couch, shaking lightly as she gingerly wrapped the bandage around her hand, every movement feeling a burning sting. But she knew she'd do anything for Will, even cutting her own skin.

Nancy sat down with her, trying to wrap her own hand up. A small creaking sound erupted from the front porch, making both girls turn in fear. Laurel's heart raced at every little sound she could hear.