004

CHAPTER 4
THE BODY

CHAPTER 4THE BODY

_____

When the inevitable time would come when either Laurel would be told that Will was alive, or Will was dead, she prepared herself for how she'd react. If alive, calm but cautious. If dead, she had no clue how much control over her emotions she'd have.

When the police told her family they found Will's dead body in a lake she never thought that not a single tear would come out. At the time of her thinking this she was sitting, speechless and sickly pale, on the old sofa in their living room. She barely even noticed the gaping hole in the wall her mother created after seeing some sort of monster erupt from it. Everything when in one ear, out the other, as if she was just a spirit of the girl she once was. Stoic on the outside, but mind racing on the inside. The only problem was she couldn't comprehend anything in her mind either.

Her mother, Joyce, seemed to be acting the same way, totally oblivious to Hopper's explanation of how Will died.

Laurel's head started to clear up, as if she resurfaced from being underwater, hearing her mother's voice. "Whoever you found, is not my boy. It's not Will."

Hopper shook his head. "Joyce-"

"No, you don't understand. I talked to him, a half hour ago..."

And just like that, Laurel went back underwater. She was drowning out the sounds all around her, just as she was drowning under the waves too. Talking to Will. The lake. The monster. Steve and her camera. It was all too much to understand at once. Laurel sunk into the couch, glancing down at her dirt covered yellow sneakers. They were swirling-no, the floor was swirling. The floor beneath her almost carried her away.

She would've fainted at any second if it weren't for Jonathan's hand placed on her shoulder, almost startling her. She resurfaced. They didn't need to speak to understand each other; they never did.

"It's after him, he's in danger, we have to find him!" Joyce cried out as Jonathan stepped forward to try and console her; to no avail.

"What exactly was this thing?" Hopper asked. Laurel was surprised at how calm he was through this whole ordeal. "Was it some kinda animal you said-"

"No, it was...it was almost human, but it wasn't. It had these long arms, and...it didn't have a face..."

Hopper sighed, trying to get her to sit down. Jonathan seemed too fed up with everything as he stormed off. Laurel thought it'd be best to follow. Usually Jonathan would keep his door wide open, as it was normal to expect his twin to follow him in times like this, but this time it was shut. Laurel gulped, her dizziness leading her to lean on the doorway. She pushed herself off of it, and into her room. Closing the door, she rubbed her eyes and fell onto her bed.