003

CHAPTER 3
HOLLY, JOLLY

CHAPTER 3HOLLY, JOLLY

_____

Laurel awoke in bed for the fourth time that morning. Her worries kept her awake, questions and words and concerns crept in her mind all night, keeping her mind racing until the early hours of the morning. Luckily it was actually time to wake up, but Laurel dreaded going to class that day. She would've skipped if she didn't have an Algebra test to attend.

As she came to her senses after rubbing her eyes, she began to hear talking in the other room. It was definitely from her mother and brother, she'd know their voices from anywhere. Laurel got out of bed and headed into Will's room to see Jonathan arguing with Joyce.

"Did you see that?" Her mother said excitedly, pointing to a lamp. Laurel began to examine the room, noticing not just one lamp, but many other different types of lights circling the room.

"It's the electricity mom!" Jonathan said in an aggravated tone. "It's acting up, it-it's the same thing as the ph-"

"What's going on here?" Laurel finally spoke up in confusion, leaning against the doorway in her Looney Toons pyjamas.

Her mother, who was sitting on the edge of the bed, spun towards her daughter. "Laurel, sweetie, I know this sounds crazy but-"

"It is crazy Mom!" Jonathan interrupted, but that didn't stop her from explaining herself.

"The lights-it's Will talking to me, I know it is!"

Laurel sighed, leaning her forehead against the cold doorframe. "Mom, remember two summers ago, when the lights kept flickering after that storm? It's probably just another electricity problem."

Her mother shook her head immediately. "No, something is going on here! Yesterday, the wall-"

"What? What about the wall?" Jonathan asked.

"I don't know, I don't know..."

"First the lights, then the wall?"

"I just know that Will is here, maybe if I get more lamps-"

"No, mom, you don't need more lamps! You need to stop this okay?" Jonathan and her mother were standing up at this point, as he held her head. All Laurel could do was look at her sadly. "He is just lost. People are looking for him, and they're going to find him." That seemed to calm her down.

"Okay..." her mother stammered, "okay, I'm sorry guys..."

"Mom, why don't you get some sleep? We'll be fine," Laurel suggested while stepping forward, watching her slump back onto the bed. She hadn't seen her mother this bad before, not since the divorce. But something about this time was worse. "Can you do that for us?"