Chapter Ten: New experiences

Yes yes I know I haven't updated in a while! 😁 Please don't hurt me lol I was busy (lame excuse but I was)

~~~~~~

Jake drove Kat to town with the music way up and the windows way down. She had never felt more free...Though there was something strange she was feeling. Like it wasn't over. Her dad wasn't gone and the fear would return. As much as she hated that feeling it remained inside her and there was a small voice in her head saying all this was just the beginning.

Before Kat knew it Jake was pulling into the city's mall. For a city so small they happened to have a pretty big mall which most teen girl when a guy brought them there would go gaga, but Kat just stepped out of the car looking up at it with curious eyes.

Jake smiled as he climbed out of his side before walking over so he was now standing at her side, "Come on." He said enveloping her small hand with his and giving her a little tug so she'd follow him. Inside was even bigger than what it looked on the outside. Kat wasn't very impressed before, but now she was. Her jaw dropped as she looked around.

The mall was entirely of glass and there was store after store after store. The elevators seemed to never end and neither did the mall.

Jake watched her with amusement, "You act like you've never been here before."

Kat looked at him after a moment, "Thats because I haven't." She said with a small smile and a light blush. He must think I'm crazy she thought and hoped he didn't actually think that.

Jake just got a huge grin on his face though and bowed to her, "Well Miss Kat. I will be your efficient tour guide." He said with a quite well done english accent.

Kat giggled at this and he held out his arm for her which she took. He walked her towards the first store which was called Spencer's. Kat couldn't see much of what was in the store though because it was all dark with only some disco lights around the room and a flashing light that was going to give her a head ache if she stayed there too long.

Jake looked at her, "This is Spencer's, the ultimate porn place for perverts as well as other crap no one gets anymore. You can go in there if you want anything ranging from nude models to your very own pair of suspenders."

Kat arched an eyebrow and snorted, "I won't be going in there." She glanced at the name of the store in bold red letters before shaking her head.

Jake smirked, "Wise choice." He pulled her along to the next store with his arm still linked with hers and he was still playing with the british accent which made Kat laugh almost every time he talked.

"We have now reached the part of the tour at hot topic. Its where doctor who merchandise meets the world of harry potter." He nodded at the store approvingly and Kat glanced at the inside which was also dimly lit, but not as dark as Spencer's.

She bit her lower lip and nodded before he pulled her along to the next store and then the next after that and the stores never seemed to end, but once they finally did he took her to the ice cream shop.

Kat was worn out from looking at all the stores, but the ones she really liked Jake bought her some stuff from. She wouldn't allow him to buy her useless junk though. Kat only let him buy her necessities such as toiletries and some new clothes.

Kat licked her plain vanilla cone she had gotten as Jake slurped on his milkshake next to her. She glanced up from her ice cream suddenly thinking about the time which she hadn't worried about at all till then. "What time is it?" She asked watching him as she took a bite from her cone.

Jake looked up at her, "Good question." He pulled out his iphone and clicked it on, "Just turned eight." He slipped it back in his pocket and went back to his milkshake. Kat looked around at the now almost empty mall. Not many people came to the mall anyway and even less would come on a school night.

Once Kat finished her ice cream, Jake tossed his empty cup away and paid for the ice cream before walking out with her to his car.

They drove back to his house the same way they went to the mall with the windows down and the music turned up. The sky was dark now and night had fallen. Kat loved this time when the city lights were on and everything looked alive even though the world beyond it looked dead.

In that moment, with Jake by her side and the music blaring in their ears and the wind whipping across her face blowing her hair she felt truly alive. Jake looked over at her with a smile and pressed a button which moved his sun roof back so it was wide open above their heads.

"Stand up!" He yelled over all the noise. Kat gave him an odd look wondering why, but she didn't ask any questions except for, "Isn't it illegal?"

Jake just smirked not saying anything as he turned his attention back to the road. Kat rolled her eyes as she unbuckled and stood up through the sun roof. Everything seemed to slow down. The cars that zipped past seemed to just be driving slower until they disappeared because Kat didn't care about the cars. She cared about the feeling of it all.

The adrenaline that made her heart pound from inside her, the way the lights lit up the city and sparkled when they were further away, the way the wind swept through her hair and moved up her clothes, the way that all she focused on was the sound of the music. Everything made her feel so alive.

A smile tugged at the corners of her lips until she wad beaming from ear to ear. She threw her hands up in the air and screamed out into the darkness. Kat could hear Jake laugh from inside the car and then she started laughing too because for once in her life the nagging in the back of her mind had been silenced and the fear deep within her seemed to vanish.

And for that moment, she had never been happier.

Jake pulled up into his driveway and Kat sat back down exhilarated and still laughing. Jake laughed a little as he saw her and ruffled her hair, "How was it up there?"

She looked at him, "Alive."

Jake nodded as if he understood exactly what she meant, he turned off the car and helped her carry all the shopping bags inside. "My parents are probably in the study....I'll go talk to them. You can go ahead and start moving into your room if you want. Its the second one up the stairs and on your right." He smiled at her before walking out of the kitchen and down the hall.

Kat smiled to herself looking around the big kitchen and trying to get used to the idea that she'd be living here and this would be her new home. Her eyes wandered to the hall that Jake had just walked down as she thought of him and his parents. Hopefully, this would be her new family as well.

She started by carrying two bags up to her new room and with Jake's instructions, she found it easily. Kat opened the door slowly and her eyes widened slightly as she found herself in a beautiful big room. It wasn't huge or anything, but to Kat it was grand.

As cheesy as it may sound, she felt like a princess standing in that room. It was wider than it was long and the walls were a light blue. It had one very large window that took up most of one of the walls. The other biggest wall of the room had a book shelf which Kat liked. The other two walls were simply decorated in pictures of Jake and his family.

She smiled walking around and looking at each of the pictures until she came across one that surprised her. In the picture was Jake with a girl who happened to look a lot like Kat. Nothing too similar about them except they had the same hair. Kat stared at the girl intently wondering what sort of part she played in Jake's life and if Kat looking like her had any effect on her relationship with Jake.

Kat remembered what Jake had said earlier about his parents wanting another girl in the house...Did Jake have a sister? As she reached out to take the frame off the wall to get a closer look, Jake came in.

"My parents are downstairs." He said looking around the room then at her.

Kat nodded slowly suddenly feeling nervous. It was time to meet his parents...

~~~~

Awe :3 so Kat's coming out of her shell a little.

But what about Jake?

Perhaps he has more of a past?

Was that his sister or his girlfriend in the picture?

Will Jake's parents let Kat stay?

•Find out in the next chapter •