Chapter Twenty Two: New beginnings

Opening her eyes, the sun was shining brightly through the opened window which was giving a beautiful cool breeze into the room. She pulled the covers up to her chin shifting under the blankets with a soft sigh and smiled to herself.

Three months had passed since the night her entire life was flipped upside down when her dad was taken. Since then, Jake's family had taken her in treating her as if she was a daughter to them except for Jake that is who treated her like a princess which made her uncomfortable at times, but she loved him. Yes, they said the 'L' word to one another.

After the trial ended, her dad was sentenced to a year in prison followed by a year of community service then sent to rehab where hopefully he would recover from his alcohol addiction and from what Kat had saw when she visited him, he was almost normal again. They shared conversations they both deserved to have that brought closure with her mom's leaving.

Jake came with her once and got to officially meet her father who was especially polite when she introduced him as her boyfriend. Jake impressed her dad and she was extremely pleased with the way they respected each other. Of course, her dad gave him 'the talk' and told him to take care of me which Jake promised he would.

Jake kept that promise whole heartedly and though they've experienced arguments, it doesn't change the way they feel about each other and the way he crawls into bed next to me every night holding Kat tightly then whispering, "I'm here. You're safe. I love you." Before he'd kiss her head.

Falling asleep to him every night and waking up to see his face every morning had made her the happiest she had ever been. Going to school the first time after her dad was taken was difficult since the entire school knew what she had lived through. For a while people treated her oddly, but once they processed it she was accepted and actually got invited to parties.

Her life had been hell and though you couldn't exactly call it heaven now, it was much better than it had ever been and that was enough for her.

Thinking back to the years she spent wishing for someone to take her away and thats what he did...Jake took her away and changed her world in a way no one else ever could. She loved him and he loved her. For once, everything was well.

THE END