Ch.4 Hazel Atkins

• Dedicated to Roman

"So much to do and so little time, HAHA, but i want you two to get some rest before dinner, you know, relax, take a nap, go on!" I've only been on this train for ten minutes but Venus Andante is already on my last nerve. I haven't spoken so much as a word since i said goodbye to pa and i don't plan to. The District 11 male tribute, Thresh, growls and saunter away. I'm a bit afraid of him, he's extremely tall and muscly and he seems to have a fiery temper. An avox guides me to my room and opens the door. It's large and spacy with a big bed and a washroom, i've never been in such a fancy place. I collapse on the bed but i can't will myself to sleep, i'm absolutely terrified at the probability of my near death. I don't think i can muster up anymore tears, which is good i suppose, if i appear weak, then i have almost no chance of surviving in the Hunger Games. Not that i will anyway. After what seems like an eternity of staring at the blank beige wall, there's a brisk knock at the door. When i don't respond, the door opens a crack and Hazel Atkins peeks in. If there's been one good thing about being reaped, it's having Hazel as my mentor. She has silky brown hair down to her hips, flecked with silver, she's short, skinny and quick moving. Her tired brown eyes show years of wear, but her flawless chesnut colored skin gives her an unearthly young look. Years ago, Hazel, at age 18, won the games. She had lost her whole family years before and had nothing left. Hazel decided to open an orphanage and use her fortune made from the Games to support the children. Each year, when she is called to be mentor, her husband takes over the orphanage. Some say that Hazel Atkins is an angel in disguise and people swear she's never turned down anyone in need of help. "Honey, dinner's in 15 minutes, but i wanted to talk to you for a bit, is that okay?" I nod and Hazel comes and sits on the edge of my bed. "I know you're probably not in the mood to talk just yet, but i want to do as much as i can to help you in the Hunger Games and i need you to be strong and cooperate. This must be unimaginably hard for you, and i admire you for that" Hazel's voice is so sweet that i crack. "This is all so stupid, people my age are supposed to be playing and learning, not killing, why is this happening to me?!" "Life can do you good, and life can do you bad, you just need to learn to fight, fight, fight. The most you can do right now is try. Try to be brave, try to appear strong, use your skills to the best of your abilities. What are you good at Rue?" "Well i'm handy with a slingshot, and i know all there is to know about plants, but that's expected from a District 11 tribute." I whine. "That's perfectly fine, but slingshots, that could really be to your advantage, you know, hit someone in the eye then kill them while they're staggering aroung. Maybe not, you seem more like the 'under the radar' type. But you look like a smart girl and you can definitely use that." Hazel replies, tapping her head." "Well, okay i'll do that, thanks for the advice, it really really helped." And it definitely did. "My pleasure Rue, i've enjoyed our little chat, you're one for talking, getting that Thresh to speak is like drawing blood from a rock!" Hazel chuckles, her eyes crinkling, then herds me out of the room for dinner."