Ch.3 - last goodbyes

• Dedicated to my parents <3

"My baby, these devils can't take my baby!" Ma cries, rushing into the tiny visiting compartment i'm sitting in. I struggle to keep my emotions under control, but just hearing ma's choking cries, seeing the kids sorrowful faces, brings me to tears. Ma pulls me onto her lap, my brothers and sisters cram themselves onto the small velvet couch beside us. Ma howls for what seems like hours, the kids stroking my arms and kissing me in turn. I've never felt so small and innocent. "Where's pa?" I ask, trying to sound brave though my voice cracks and the tears start again. "Pa wants to see you by yourself." Aali whispers. A stern looking peacekeeper bursts into the room, grabbing Adora and Aali's arms, who squeal with fear. "Times up, get out!" Something flashes across his eyes; remorse, pity? The kids clear out reluctantly, whispering goodbye's and i love you's, but ma stays put, quietly stroking my hair. "I SAID GET OUT!" The peacekeeper screams yanking ma roughly from the couch and shoving her out the door. "I LO-" she starts, but the door slams shut. I bury my face into the velvet, it's warm and soft and almost comforting. The door opens an i'm prepared for pa to come, but instead it's Marty. Marty sits silently beside me and touches my arm. "When my father was a boy, his best friend was reaped, he was forced to watch him die. Pa said he's never missed anyone more." I can't see how this is meant to make me feel better, but i let him go on, his voice is calm and sweet. "But that's not going to happen to me, i'm not going to watch you die, you will win." Marty persists. "I know over the years we haven't been too friendly with eachother, but i've always admired your bravery, i think you have a chance of winning." "Really?" I speak for the first time. "Sure, here have this." Marty hands me a small, carved wooden heart. The edges are smooth and it's a beautiful, shiny light brown. "R-really, are you sure you want me to have this. "Of course, i made it myself and it's the least i can do. You're so brave Rue, and i'm really going to miss you. Marty gives me a hug then leaves the room, embarrased, before i can say so much as thanks. I feel calmed after Marty's visit, so when pa walks in i manage to keep my tears down. I put my head in his lap and he traces my face, like he did when i was little, i can tell pa's fighting not to cry. "I love you, lamb, l love you so much, and if i could i'd take your place i would, you're a fighter Rue, and if you have the will to survive you can." "I love you daddy." I whisper. Pa kisses my forehead and slowly gets up to leave. When it's clear no one else is bidding me goodbye, i curl up on the couch and let out a few last tears. I have never felt so alone.