Since You've Been Gone

Start from the beginning

"When you write a note down in ink, there's a split second where the ink hasn't dried yet-"she takes a finger and gently smears the ink against the paper. "See how it smudged? That's a memory or rather your perception of one. While the memory could have occurred one way, we all remember them in different ways."

I take a few minutes to process what she means. "So, what you're saying you have something or some sort of spell that would change my perception of my memories?"

"Yup."

"But shouldn't I work on getting over Michael on my own? If you change the memories I have of him, that's not working out my problem, or is it?"

"Oh, don't get your panties in a bunch," Colette replied, laughing to herself. "This isn't gonna change your memories of Michael, it only changes your perception of them. And here I thought you figured it out!"

"For example, if I change your perception on the night you met with Michael in October, I could make you believe that you perceived the meeting as nothing more than a peace offering and not him trying to win you back."

"With the way you're explaining this, I'd much rather you just change the memories because this process sounds complicated," I replied, my brain hurting from all this confusing talk.

"That's another way I could do it, like I said, memories have neural links to your conscious mind. I could disconnect them, leaving a select few memories in there."

I stayed quiet, truly thinking this over. Of course, all my memories over the span of Michael and I's relationship played out in my head. The silly, sad, and crazy moments we shared with one another, we were the genuine couple. At least, I thought we were. If only I could've fooled myself a little longer, I wish Michael could've had fooled himself a little longer as well. But I was stupid, just because I had come back to the past didn't mean I could just mess with or change people's lives to the way I wanted them to be.

In my original timeline, Michael took years to get over Diana and that hadn't changed but maybe I thought being with him like I was, would do something. But it only delayed the inevitable. So, as I came to this resolve, I looked to Colette with determination.

"Let's get started."

Michael

The same day

It had only been 9 days since Sammy passed and I didn't know how to feel. Even longer without Kendra, 209 days to be exact. All these things happening in my life couldn't be good for my health, but I kept pushing on, determined not to let myself turn into an emotional mess. Besides, I didn't have the time to do that. The funeral was the only time I didn't have to lock myself into the studio to work on new material, but I loathed every second that I had to face all those guests that not only were grieving Sammy but seemed to be sending looks of pity and sympathy my way.

I didn't need the pity and certainly not their insincere sympathy. Call me grumpy but I could tell that most of them did not really care to understand what was going on personally in my life. Despite my grumpiness, I held onto hope that Kendra would at least contact me at some point but Mother, Janet, and even Elizabeth were rapidly losing their faith in my belief.

"Michael, it's time you let this go, the girl has been through enough!"

"Michael, it's been months already. I think you have your answer."

"Michael, dear, maybe she's moved on."

All their voices rang in my ears, but I didn't want to accept them. Not yet. I need to keep waiting, no one ever got anywhere just by giving up.