Chapter 8: Small Reminders

Start from the beginning

The brother shrugged. "A project of his is not working as it should. Our father is frustrated with him, and Curvo is not used to that. He has ever been more skilled than any of the rest of us in craftsmanship." Then he turned to Findekáno and Findaráto. "You best get going."

"Yes," Findekáno agreed. "Take care Tyelko."

"You as well, all of you." He nodded and turned back to where Curvo laughed with the twins who chased Huan.

The cousins and Eve walked out through the wrote iron gate and down the path to where it joined a road. From there, Findaráto took the lead to the daily market. As they came to the Great Square, both elves turned to her.

"What did you need at the market?" Finno asked her.

She shuffled her feet and her cheeks grew red. "When I tried to sleep last night it was hard," she admitted. "I miss having a stuffed animal."

Findaráto smiled with a quick nod. "That we can solve."

They continued on until the market. This time Findaráto led the trio down a different line of stalls, filled with toys and children's items. There were also domestic items, pots and pans and some articles of clothing for women. Findaráto led them straight to a stall at the end of the row, and as wares stood dozens of fluffy plush animals.

"Take your pick," Findaráto nodded. "I will pay this time, as Finno bought that bracelet for you."

She smiled at him, happy tears filling her eyes. "Thank you so much."

Eve turned to the stall while Findo chatted with the merchant. Evidently the prince knew well the man who sold the stuffed animals because their speech was familiar. She heard something about "Lady Artanis," but her attention stayed on the toys before her.

A little sheep, made of some of the softest material she'd ever experienced, was the first to draw her attention. Eve picked it up and held it, squeezing the body. That's when she saw what had sat behind it.

"Oh." She placed the sheep down nicely before grabbing the new toy. Shaped like a seated cat with fur of grey, this time tears did fall. She quietly whispered the name of the animal it reminded her of. "Spencer."

Finno was at her side instantly when he realized she was crying. The merchant and Findo looked at her in concern also, though she managed to hold herself together well enough. Findaráto paid the elf for the cat plush and explained she had lost her precious animal recently before they all moved away from the stand.

"I'm so sorry," she muttered, wiping her eyes and cheeks with her sleeve. "I didn't-"

"It is alright," Findekáno assured her. He hesitated before placing a hand on her arm as he had seen Nerdanel do to comfort her. "Do you still feel well enough to travel to Alqualondë? If you do not, we can take you home."

It amazed Eve more than she had expected that Findekáno, ever joyful and full of laughter, could so immediately transform. His expression was laced with concern and his hand on her arm was gentle. Another thing that surprised her was how, though every elf she had met so far had greyish eyes, she found that each set of eyes held emotion even more than she had ever seen in her own people's. Findekáno's warm grey eyes now only seemed to feel concern. Findaráto, who's grey leaned more towards blue, seemed confused.

"I think..." she paused. "I think I would still like to travel. I don't really want to go back and say I failed."

"It is not failure to need help or more time," Findekáno assured her. "But if you wish to continue, we certainly will not say no!"

After she nodded again, Findaráto gestured for them to follow. "Finno, I am going to hurry ahead and get my horse. Shall we meet at your house?"

Findekáno nodded. "Yes. By the time you get there, I will have found a horse for Eve."