i. the gift

A child was born with a great gift. Born into a bloodline of greats and bolds, this child was prophesied to do many amazing things.

Given the name Sybill, the child grew up nearly alone with nobody close to her. When she was young, tragedy struck her parents down, leaving her all alone in a cruel and unwelcoming world. She was so young, so pure, so alone.

Small and frail without a guardian in sight, the child with hair the color of rich maple and eyes as big as the moon made her way alone. She was born with a gift, but she was not gifted. Not yet.

At the age of eleven, she was brought into a new world. Unlike the old one, this one welcomed her and her oddities. She was made into all she could be, and in just three short years, she had a home, a friend, and a small mastery of her gift.

The "Sight" they called it at the school. A professor with a beard of silk and a woman with the gaze of a feline helped train her in using it. They hoped one day she would foretell something great and live up to her ancestors.

With their help, Sybill became more than that lost child of her past. She was now a girl who seemed to have a hold on the world, but she would soon lose her grip.