"I'm not mad. Just surprised, that's all."

My voice didn't sound convincing at all, but I didn't care. I couldn't put on an act and pretend that I was totally okay with that, but I couldn't admit that it bothered me either; not even to myself. I decided to let things happen by themselves and go with the flow.

"All right, then. I was so worried that you're in love with him as well."

I gave her a forced smile, but she didn't seem to notice. I took a deep breath. Why did this feel like the end of something?

***

I had been avoiding Damian for days. I didn't really go out during the breaks so I wouldn't meet him in the hallway. And if we accidentally crossed paths, I was usually with Avery and Paul or Devon and he didn't dare approach me yet. Ellie had told him that I hadn't forgiven him yet and that I needed some space, so he was probably respecting my decision.

I hadn't seen him for four days in a row. I overheard some girls in his class that said he started to play truant and skip school. I wasn't surprised at all. Skipping school sounded like a very tempting idea, with all the quizzes and exams coming up.

I didn't tell Ellie about the photograph I saw of Damian with Monica. It didn't feel right. I also didn't ask her if she had been seeing him these past days. I feared the answer.

It was Friday when Avery announced that we had a meeting. I almost forgot that I told Damian that he was part of The Elite Group. That meant I had to find him and let him know, or at least text him. I decided upon the latter and wanted to take his phone number from Ellie, but she insisted that she'd notify him herself. I didn't comment or tried to argue. It was pointless.

Ellie didn't come between me and Devon, so I just returned the favour. Damian and I were strangers again.

After the fifth period, Gabrielle and I walked to the usual meeting spot. We all sat down at the circular table: ever since the selection, the Elite Group consisted of fourteen members, and most of them were new. What the rest didn't know was that there was a fifteenth member as well, who was late. I wasn't sure how to tell them about that, so I just kept silent. I decided to wait until Damian arrived to drop the bombshell.

Avery got up from her chair and cleared her throat:

"Until we get to our beloved Do or Die game, we've gathered for something else. Christmas is coming soon and we need to organise something, like a ball or some sort of celebratory activity for the rest of the academy. Any ideas?"

Silence filled the room as everyone averted their eyes to the floor. I was the first one to break it:

"We have to keep up the charity fund. It's become a tradition now."

The majority nodded their head in approval. My fingers twiddled nervously on the table as Paul said something that I didn't pay attention to.

Where was Damian? Was he going to come at all?

I inspected my red nails lost in thought.

"How about a social movement campaign that overthrows the regime of the academy's ungrateful wretches? Oh, wait. That's like the majority of you lot."

I didn't see who was talking, but I didn't have to. That derisive tone could only belong to one person. All heads turned towards him. He was wearing black again, from head to toe. He didn't have his coat on, only a crow neck jumper and jeans. I almost had forgotten how handsome he was, in his unconventional way, all sharp lines and ice-sculpted features. He watched us carelessly and defiantly, but his gaze didn't land on me.