Chapter 1/Prologue: Drifting

Kylo Ren was aware that only a few moments had passed, and yet each moment he felt he was drifting. He felt an unbearably slow sinking feeling as large cold flakes of snow lazily fell to the ground where he lay. The frost reached into the gash of his ruined face, heat still radiating from its freshly burned edges, and into the wounded Earth where a rift formed in front of him. Each icy scrap was a painfully brief moment of cool relief from the burning inside him; A fitting metaphor for the very literal inferno which was gaining strength in the planet's core. The forest floor groaned and shuddered as the chasm between the scavenger Rey and himself grew wider. Another moment passed, this time too quickly, as their eyes met. Was it Anger? Concern? Regret? Shame? He had always had a gift for seeing the truth on peoples faces and the secrets in their minds, but before he could translate her reaction the moment had passed and she was gone.
With nothing left to reach across the expanse for Kylo lowered himself upon his back. Blinking up into the darkness a light burst forth and away. The Falcon streaked across the sky overhead like a shooting star. He laughed at his own foolishness as he instinctively closed his eyes to make a wish. "It is you" he breathed weakly. He welcomed the resonation of the rock and soil beneath him as it oddly soothed his broken body. As he drew a disarmingly contented deep breath a sharp pain disturbed his reverie. Annoyed by the intrusion upon his focus Kylo beat his fist faintly at the source. This time agony did not beget strength. He was not compelled to fight, but instead chose to flee. Closing his eyes again he drifted. Snow white slivers turned to sun scorched sands then transformed again to wind whipped rains. A frigid void, a forsaken desert, and an island with so much promise. A thunderous clamor enveloped his senses. As the planet and reality fractured he felt his very soul gently swayed into the tranquil absolute of darkness.