Chapter Nine: The Queenbee

I have many safe places.  The library, my grandmother’s house, my bed, just to name a few. Most days I retreat to one of my safe places at the end of the on a long day as a reward. Rightnow, I want to run to one of my safe places, hide, and never come out. Not because my day has been incredibly stressful or anything but because I’m in an awkward situation.

I’m terrible in awkward situations.

A few years ago in an audition I forgot my lines. Instead of behaving like a normal person and asking for my next line, I stood there like an idiot. After a few seconds of awkward silence the director gave me a smile and asked if I was okay. The sound of his voice scared me so much that I jumped and knocked over a coffee mug onto the ground. Unluckily for me, the mug was filled to the brim with coffee an intern brought moments before. Also unluckily for me, the coffee spilled onto the director before the mug fell onto the ground. Then, my bright young self decided to make the situation worse by attempting to pick up the mug but instead ended up flashing the panel of auditioners with my rear end.

Needless to say but I did not receive that role.

Unlike the audition, the awkwardness that I am currently feeling is caused by someone I admire wanting to casually discuss my mortal enemy and not my stupidity.

“I want to talk about Ivy.”

I awkwardly shift in my seat, “What about Ivy?”

“I need you to be honest, do you think Ivy trashed your car?”

“I get that Ivy is a massive bitch but I don’t think she’s capable of doing something that fucked up. If Ivy wanted to destroy me, she would ruin my social life not my car.”

Lauren looks down at her feet and releases sigh, “Didn’t she do both?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Lauren looks up at me, “When -if- she trashed your car, she ruined your social life. You can’t leave your house without being followed by a camera. I’ve been here for an hour and I’ve heard the whispers. I know highschool kids are stupid but, damn the shit they’re making up is creative.”

“Do you remember a few nights ago when I mentioned Chelsey Baxter’s party and Ivy instantly shut up?”

“Yeah you said she drank too much and then she cut you off.”

I look past Lauren to address Mr Fellows, “Hey Fellows, do you have a class next hour?”

“Nope.”

“Then make yourself useful and lock the door.” I glance back at Lauren and her expression is completely blank, “This conversation should not be interrupted.”

“You know I’m your teacher right? You can’t just boss me around like that.”

“Sooner rather than later, Fellows.”

Mr Fellows lets out a series incoherent insults under his breath but Lauren and I ignore him.

“What do you know about the Bates family?”

Lauren takes a seat in the desk to my right, “What does that have to do with I-”

“Just answer the question.”

“Robert Bates helps run Goodmorning LA and Scarlett Bates owns some clothing company. They have one kid, Ivy. They’re the image of a perfect family.”

“That’s all you know?” Lauren continues to look at me but doesn’t speak. I sigh, “The Bates family isn’t as perfect as they seem.

“Like I told you previously Ivy and I both went to Chelsey Baxter’s party. Chelsey is known for throwing ragers with little to no consequences for those involved. So, people get beyond wasted without worry of their careers going to shit before they can even begin. At one party Ivy got wasted; and said some stuff.