Chapter Six: The Awakening

Growing up with a sibling is a great experience. Between nearly killing each other and celebrating birthdays, lifetime connections are created. You develop a bond that cannot be broken even when one of you majorly fucks up.

My sister is less than four years older than me so we’re pretty close. We did everything together; from going to the park, to riding bikes, and even teaming up against our dad. Joey and I were completely inseparable. When I was a freshman in high school she went into her first year of college. She went to some fancy college in New York so it was the first time we were separated for long periods of time. The key word in that  sentence was went. Joey was trying to juggle modeling and going to school but her class loads were just too intense for her to manage both. So she had to chose between getting a degree in math or pursuing her passion of modeling.

She picked modeling and our parents were pissed. Before she went to college she promised them that she would be able to do both and finish school on time. They wanted Joey to have a plan B just in case her career didn’t launch like it was intended to. Eventually, they came around to Joey dropping out of college and starting her career earlier than intended. Our parents eventually sat her down and they had the “if you’re happy then we’re happy” speech. There were tears and and a lot of hugging but everyone eventually settled back into everyday life.

I backed Joey up the entire time because she’s my sister and her dreams are important to me. No one noticed because they were too busy yelling at eachother.

Now I’m getting yelled at at three o’clock in the morning for pursuing my dreams.

“The better question is why didn’t you tell me you were going to play Melody Jones? And why the hell is there a video of you putting Tommy Smith in a headlock?”

I snuggle deeper into my cover and dance around my sister’s question, “Oh hi Joey its great to talk to you too. How am I? I’m doing great thanks for asking.”

“Cut the shit Elizabeth,” Her voice lost it’s usual charm and the temperature in my room dropped, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I just found out less than twelve hours ago and I didn’t even know I was auditioning for Melody Jones until they told me yesterday.”

“You still should have called me.”

“I know, I know but I thought you’d be asleep. Speaking of sleep, I know it’s like eleven in London right now but it’s late here and I need to go to sleep because I have class in the morning.”

A car horn blares on the other side of the phone call and Joey lets out an exhausted sigh, “I’m not in London anymore I just landed in LA a few minutes ago.”

“How the hell was I supposed to call you if you were on a plane for twelve fucking hours?”

“Beth, I love you but there is no need to that language.”

“You woke me up at three o’clock in the fucking morning for no reason sorry if I’m a little snippy. Now if you please excuse me I’m going to go back to sleep before I say something I’ll regret later on. Goodnight.”

“This conversation isn’t ove-”

I click the end call button on my phone and return it to my dresser to finish charging. My head sinks back into my pillow and I shut my eyes. I love my sister but she is a hand full. Joey is a strong independent woman who know what she wants and achieves her goals by any means necessary. She’s a diva and will command everyone’s attention within seconds without saying a single word. It’s beneficial for her career but after eighteen years of her demanding attitude, I am sick of it. I should get used to it because we are going to spend the rest of our lives to deal with each other.