Chapter 5

Jace just stood there blinking at me.

“I need a moment.” He leaned back on the couch. I went to get him a glass of water. He didn’t speak again until I handed it to him.

“I don’t want to believe it but things make much more sense now. Hades was my mom’s favorite character in Greek mythology. But that’s all I thought he was… a character.” He looked up at me with hurt in his eyes. “Why would she lie to me?”

“That one I can’t answer for you,” I told him.

“I still don’t get why those things wanted me.” That was one I could easily answer.

“Despite what most people think, demigods are actually quite rare,” I said. “Demigods with Hades’ blood are even rarer. I can’t remember the last time there was one.”

“You’re extremely valuable because of it,” I continued. “You’re one of the few people who can gain access to the Underworld uncontested.” For a while he just stared at me, letting it all sink in.

“How do you fit in to this? Are you a demigod too,” he asked. I couldn’t hold back the derisive chuckle that escaped me.

“I already told you. I protect things.” I could tell he didn’t believe me.

“Why should I trust you,” he asked. That was a valid point. Here he was completely out of his element with a crazy girl who saved him from a beast attack. Said crazy girl then went and practically kidnapped him. I could see I would have to find a way to earn his trust.

“Because you have no other options. Unless you want to figure out what’s going on alone,” it wasn’t the best argument but it was valid. I sighed, “Look, Jace I know this is all confusing and don’t make a lot of sense right now. Chances are you’ll never fully understand everything but there are a few things we know for sure. Someone is after you and if they want you as bad as I think then that means something bigger is going down.”

“What are we supposed to do,” he asked me.

“We’re going to find some answers and then kick some ass,” I told him.

***

It was a about an hour later when we pulled up in front of the little hole in the wall Greek restaurant close to the river. It was owned by this older couple that emigrated from Greece a few years ago. They food was authentic and almost impossible to beat. Even though the couple didn’t know , it was so good that it captured the attention of more than one of the Olympians. You can normally stop in during the day and find at least one of them there.

The place was pretty packed when we walked it. The local college students had gotten wind of it and many of them frequented it during their breaks between classes. I stood on my tip toes looking for one person in particular. I spotted him over in the corner. Simply put, he was huge. Not in that chubby, football player way. I mean he was ripped; one arm was about the width of my waist. He was dressed in a red cutoff muscle shirt and a light pair of ripped jeans. A pair of Ray-Bans held his blonde, sholder length hair out of his face. I grabbed Jace and walked over. The hulk rose his eyebrows are we approached.

“Ares. Still checking out the local sorority girl? Aren’t you a little old for them?” I couldn’t keep the smirk off my face. He laughed at my comment and gave me a quick once over before his eyes turned to Jace.

“Look who’s talking Dor. It seems you’ve got a fresh demigod for a pet.” I laughed at that and stole an glace at Jace. He was seething; it seems he did not like being called anyone’s pet. There was that temper of his again. It didn’t help that Ares enjoyed baiting anyone that he could.

I laid my hand on Jace’s arm and got his attention. “Could you go get us something to eat? I need to talk with Ares for a minute.” He grunted and mumbled something about being sent off like a child but I rolled my eyes and ignored him. I sat down across the table and eyed Ares who stared back at me unfazed. I sighed.

“I think you know why I’m here. If anything is happening in the terms of war then you know about it,” I said.

“I don’t see any war, Dor,” he responded.

“If anyone gets a hold of the box there will be war. A war that will level the whole planet.” My voice got louder at the prospect. Ares squirmed in his seat, checking to make sure we weren’t overheard.

“You know I’ve not supposed to get involved.” He paused and seemed to think it over and a grin spread across his face. “But given our history, I’ll help you this once.”

“What history,” Jace asked. He had managed to sneak up on us. A fact I didn’t like. Ares just laughed at him. I gave him an annoyed glace.

“We sort of used to date like a hundred years ago.” And I really meant it. It’s been 102 years since I’d seen him to be precise. Jace’s face soured at the thought; a reaction Ares seemed to enjoy. I rolled my eyes.

“Boys can be please get back to the issue at hand? Ares, tell me something useful.” Ares leaned closer to me over the table.

“You didn’t hear this from me. Word has it there’s some heavy shit brewing. I can’t say exactly what it is. I just know it that someone is after the box. I don’t know why and I don’t really care. Starting a war is what I’m made for. I’m just giving you a heads up because I don’t want to see you get hurt.” Jace snorted and Area narrowed his eyes at him.

Turning back to me he said, “Just watch you back.” And with that he was up and out the door faster than humanly possible. Jace and I sat in silence as I thought about the possible coming apocalypse and how I could avoid it. I still wasn’t too worried but it never hurt to be extra cautious when it came to the box. We finished our food and headed outside to Jace’s bike.

As soon as we stepped out the door I was shoved by invisible hands. I turned to see that a couple *** already had a hold on Jace. They brought a cloth to his mouth, rendering him unconscious in a matter of minutes not allowing him any time to fight back. I scrambled to my feet but before I could do much there was a sharp pain behind my skull and I fell in to blackness.