10

The tribute spluttered and squirmed, forgetting she was under water. She went to scream but only saw bubbles floating around her. It was dark and warm, nothing could be seen. Her hand then made contact with a solid substance. Her hand smashed hard against the glass. She was losing air fast. She could hear voices screaming from around her, but she couldn't reach for them. Then, like God had opened the heavens, a light appeared above her and hands grabbed and pulled until she was able to breathe.

"Evonie!" She heard and an unknown pair of arms wrapped around her cold and wet body. He then forced himself onto her, kissing the poor girl like there was no tomorrow. She was scared, so she shoved him away. His expression was confused and hurt.

"Where am I?" Her voice croaked. "Where's Robin? Where's Rosanna and Louis?" She demanded. She stepped away from the man who had kissed her and made sure he didn't come close.

"Evonie-" the man started.

"It's Haileè. My name is Haileè," she spat, grabbing a towel that was offered to her.

"Haileè, I am Chief Camber, the tribal leader of Amertica. Thirty-six moons ago, you were placed in an S.L. Tank to live in a built utopia, before the Ninety Minute War. You and three other tributes, along with here subjectives. You were given a name, personality and a background that was plugged into your brain using our technology. Then you were put into a deep slumber to see if we had built a utopia to go and live in," Camber knelt before the scared girl, her black hair drying into strings.

"I-I don't understand," Haileè shook her head. "I want to wake up."

"You have, Evonie. You left a dream to come into a nightmare," Juniper handed Haileè a glass of water.

"You call that a dream? Everyone was basically dead. Something went wrong," she snapped before sipping the water.

"Yes. Subjective two had cut off all contact with the tributes and had taken control of the created utopia. It's plan was to destroy all tributes and the other subjectives. We are still unsure why It was planning on doing so," Camber stood up. "It has brainwashed you, you have forgotten who you truly are. But you are too weak to process anything at the moment."

"Try me," Haileè snarled.

"Still feisty, I see," Camber chuckled. "Rest and all will be explained later," he said before walking out of the room.

"Come, Evonie-" Drayce held out his hand.

"It's Haileè, ok? Haileè," she hit his hand away and tried to stand up. She tripped backwards and landed where she had started.

"Listen, right now you see me as a stranger and you refuse my help. But let me help you," he offered her his hand once more.

"Fine," Haileè sighed and grabbed onto his hand. His hand was strong and yet soothing, it reminded her of a feeling she couldn't quite forget. Drayce pulled her to her feet and propped her up so she could walk properly.

"June, please go ahead and fix Ev—Haileè's sleeping quarters? She will need to rest," Drayce asked and the girl nodded before scurrying off.

Drayce and Haileè began shuffling down the hallway. He held her up with his arms, her left leg dragging along the floor, for she could not feel it. Her small frame was fragile and weak, as Camber had said, and standing next to a strong and handsome man made her feel even more so.

"So if my name really isn't Haileè Aitken, then what is it?" Haileè asked, grunting in pain as she tried to move her left foot.

"Evonie Amt," Drayce answered, looking down.