twelve

Adam suggested that we should plant a garden. This was just after another person fell victim from falling off from a high building. That, and depression that soon led to suicidal thoughts, that soon led to suicidal action.

I found that even with Adam, I could still get used to this hostile and merciless environment. It felt different from the last time, when I just reacted numbly to everything. This time, it felt that everything was simply part of a dream with Adam in it side by side with the close nature of death, tightroping on the border between sweet sleep and nightmares.

I felt glad. It meant that I didn't have to go back to the time without Adam or force him out of my life again although now, I wasn't sure that I even had the will or the power to do so. And in my shameful confession, I was always in limited supply of those two qualities. I am a coward, and that attribute was a gift and a curse of some sorts.

Adam bought seed for all kinds: dandelions, roses, daisies... He thought that since different people will like different flowers, it would be more appropriate to have a range. He said that this garden was for those who had left us permanently. I said that this garden would be for those who would look from the other buildings, and maybe spark a desire to turn back on their decisions that made them climb so high. We both hoped, although we knew the dangers of hoping.

It wasn't until the next month that our hopes were betrayed, and we were once again tightly clad in each others arms, planting another seed to another sad memory.