Prologue

180 years ago

The night was quiet, save for the faraway noises carried up the hill by a gust of wind. The man leaned into the sound of the city below, his gut twirling with nervousness that played a merry song by plucking away at his nerve strings. A foreign feeling, being nervous. He had not felt it for a couple hundred years.

"Is this it?" his woman asked at his side before she interlaced their fingers.

The man's gaze swayed to her, and his heart jumped. "Yes. That's Trinity."

She pursed her lips while looking at the twinkling lights in the distance. "Strange name for a human city. It is on the brink of industrial revolution; you know it will grow exponentially. Do you really think it is wise to settle here? Why not build a new place where we are among others like ourselves?"

The man smiled and pulled her against him, her body fusing to his in the most satisfying way. Fitting him like the missing puzzle piece. "We will blend in perfectly. Hiding from them will give our kind a good exercise in control. The fear of being caught will dim the need to fight with each other."

She raised a brow at him. "We are myres, love. We have kept ourselves apart from humans for a reason. They are soft, easy to kill, playthings for some of us."

"The price of my protection will be not to get noticed by them. They may never know we exist." He winked. "And you know, better than most, I see all that happens. But if you think we should take a different approach, we will."

Squeezing his hip, she sniffed the air, and for a second her eyes lit up with pure, white light. "No, I trust you. If this is what you want, then it is what I want. I will protect you, and you will protect the others. We'll build a future here, a free life."

"Not only that," he said. "Right here where we stand, I will build us a house. A home. And you can chisel your art into the walls and make as many statues as you need to."

She leaned her head against his chest and snaked one palm into his shirt. He closed his eyes at the tingling touch of her skin.

"How well you know me," she whispered.

He pecked the top of her head. "Not well enough, darling. But we have forever to get there." His heart swelled, and he was surprised at how filled it was with love for her. How empty it had been in comparison during the thousands of years he had walked this earth without her.

"Do you think they will come after us?" she asked, burrowing her nose into his chest, muffling her voice, and making her white tresses sway.

"They" meant his family, the ancients, the nightmares, the ruling authority of the supernatural world. He placed a finger beneath her chin and tilted up her face until her gaze met his. "If they do, I will deal with it." He knew his eyes had turned black at the thought.

Hers blazed to white in answer. "You mean 'we' will deal with it. Don't forget my promise. I will tear apart anyone who tries to harm you."

Hestroked back a strand of her white hair and smiled. "Right back at you,darling."