Reflection

A Reflection on the Little Prince

Our teacher in 21st Century Literature, Ms. Christine Dela Peña, asked us to read the "Little Prince". She even sent a pdf in our group chat, LIT: ABM-3. I didn't manage to finish reading the pdf but good thing, our teacher let us watch the movie version. I thought it will be such a boring movie but I was wrong. It is such a good and meaningful movie. It taught me and make me realize some things. The movie, "Little Prince", is meant for children, teenagers and adults. I didn't regret watching it. In fact, I enjoyed it.

The little prince and little aviator's life were almost the same. This was evident when little aviator asked grown-ups about his drawing which is a snake who ate an elephant and when the little prince asked the aviator to draw him a sheep. This shows that they are creative, unique and they see things similar but both of them having a hard time to express what they are thinking because grown-ups cannot understand anything without numerous explanations. It also shows that children and grown-ups have different perspective about life.

The little girl's mom have a life plan for her. It shows that her mom cares about her future but does her mom ever asked her what she wants to be? No, right? It shows that her mom cares about her future and about her life but she were too focus about it that she forgot to ask what she want to be, what she want to do or what she think is important in her life. It shows that our parents wants what best for us that sometimes they decided what to do in our life. I know that it's bad to disobey our parents, but in such matter, I don't think disobeying our parents is bad. We have our own ambition and passion. We are the one who owns our life. We are the one who should decide what we want to be and our parents should be the one who will guide, support and give us inspiration.

The little prince and the rose relationship makes me realized that someone or something becomes special because they are yours and you love them. For example, there are a lot of cats in the world but your cat is special because it is yours. Another example, there are a lot of people in the world, but there is only one special in your heart and it's because you love him/her.

There are lines that struck me and make me realize something. The first line that hit me is, "But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world". It makes me realized that there are a lot of people in this world but we build relationship to a certain person and get to really understand him or her. What makes them unique for us is that we know them. We can distinguish them to the other people. We care for them and love them and that's what makes them special for us. Fox taught me that it's not easy to build relationship to other people because it requires time, effort, and understanding but remember, that the relationship we have for them is what makes our world meaningful. Fox also taught me that a good friend will guide you, won't harm you and want the best for you. It is evident when little prince saw a garden full of roses on Earth and he felt sad because he believed that his rose is the only one kind in the universe but she isn't. Fox told him that what makes his rose unique and important is because it's his rose. His words make the little prince enlightened how his rose different from others. Fox also taught me that the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen with an eye but can felt with the heart. Like for example, love, faithfulness, honesty, loyalty, gratitude, trust, kindness, happiness and etc. Those beautiful things allows us to live a better life. The second line struck me is, "Growing up is not the problem, forgetting is." It's the line that aviator told to the little girl when she said that she doesn't want to grow up because she find adults really odd. I agree what aviator said. Just like me, I am growing up and I thought it's a bad thing because I will become old but it isn't. Forgetting what you were is the problem. Growing up makes you experience things. It also makes you learn about the world and yourself but as we become an adult, we sometimes don't remember things or events about our childhood just like what happened when the little girl went to see the little prince which is already an adult and working in BM.CO. The prince doesn't remember his childhood memories. There is called "childhood amnesia" which means the inability of adults to retrieve episodic memories which are memories of specific events (times, places, associated emotions, and other contextual who, what, when, and where) before the age of 2–4 years, as well as the period before age 10 of which adults retain fewer memories than might otherwise be expected given the passage of time, according to Wikipedia. In this matter, it shows that adults can't help to forget some memories from their childhood and it's a problem. They were once kids before, but they forgot the feeling and because of that, they have problem with understanding children.

I was touched about the little girl and aviator relationship. Their first meeting was not good but they became friends eventually. They became close but one day, the aviator was rush in the hospital and the little girl chased the ambulance. It shows how much the little girl care and love him even if she only know him for almost two months.

I think the intention of the author is to make us realized the essence of friendship, understanding, love, family and dreams. He wants his audience to realize that the essence of friendship is you guide, care, support and love your friends no matter what happens. You will try to understand them no matter how complicated they are and you will do the same with your family. You should also not to give up with your dreams no matter what other people say. It's your life and you should be the one to make decisions and take responsibility.