January 6th, 2018

Prompt: Say your name.
Type: Short story (plus limerick)

My head was pounding. As if a million fists were slamming against my skull, screaming to get out. My arms were sore, and everything hurt. A wet, warm substance trickle down my face. Slowly, I opened my eyes.

It was if they were still closed. Everything around me was dark, pitch black. Like a blanket of night was smothering me, but someone robbed the sparkling stars and the dazzling moon from the sky, leaving the rest of the world to grope around in the shadows. There was no sound except my own heavy breathing.

My entire body groaned as I sat up. I looked around the darkness, hoping to see some spark of light, some trace of the stolen stars and moon. But the darkness only seemed to grow thicker, suffocating me. Where was I?

The last thing I remember was... it was.... nothing. There were no memories, no idea of where I was, or who I was. But, deep in the back of my head, I could feel it. I knew they were there. The answers. But how could I free them?

"You could always ask."

I jumped at the voice, echoing through the darkness. My eyes darted around the darkness, looking for the owner, but there was only darkness.

"Don't bother, you won't be able to see me."

The voice was everywhere, and nowhere. Right in front of me, and far behind me. In my ear, and in my head.

"Who," I croaked, my throat dry and dusty. "Who are you? Where am I? Why am I here?"

"My, my, my. So many questions all at once," The voice sounded smug but unsure. Angry, but calm. Happy, but sad.

"Please," My voice was barely above a whisper. "Help me."

The voice didn't reply at first. I sat in the darkness waiting for an answer, or anything. Just as I was sure the voice would never speak again, it did.

The voice echoed through the void. "I am the honest and he bluffing. I am the hating and the loving. I am the old and youth. I am the lie and truth. I am the all I am the nothing."

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"It means what it means."

"It doesn't mean anything. Every sentence contradicts itself," I put my hand on my knees and pushed myself up to stand.

My head spun as I stumbled on my feet. I put a hand to my head as I steady myself. My stomach grumbled. When was the last time I ate?

"Two days ago."

"How?" I crossed my arms in front of my stomach. "How did you?"

"I know all and-"

"Let me guess, you know all and you know nothing. Yeah, I get it." I grumbled as I turned slowly around in circles, trying to look for another person or a light or anything but darkness.

"Well, you could've let me finished."

"Keep your damn limericks, I just want answers."

"Where did this come from? You were passed out and completely clueless not even ten minutes ago."

"I'm tired, hungry, and confused. I just want to go home."

"Why'd you want to go home if you don't even know what home is?"

I froze in place. My feet planted to the ground. What was home? Where was it? What was it like? Why wasn't I taken away? My entire body shock at the uncertainty washing over me.

"Where is home?" I whispered.

"I can't tell you yet."

"Then wh-" I began to ask but was interrupted by a cough.

The coughing fit lasted for at least a minute. My throat was dry and dusty.

"Wh-" I tried again only to be interrupted by the coughing again.

"You don't need to speak, just think."

Fine. Where am I?

"You're right here and-"

And there, I get it!

But the voice just continued.

"You're right over there. You're in fresh air and in old air. You are lost and found. You're in the sky and ground. You are everywhere and nowhere."

Great. Thanks. Now, why am I here?

"I can't tell you?"

What can you tell me?

"What will let me tell you all the answers you need."

My heart almost stopped. All the answers. What home is, why I'm here, how to go home. Who I am. all of them were right in front of me.

What do I have to do?

"There is only one thing you must do."

If it's to listen to another limerick, I'd rather stay here.

"It is something old but still is new. It's easy if you think. The task won't hurt nor stink."

Can't you just tell me straight out?

"Now are you ready to hear your due?"

Yes! Please, tell me! What is it?

"Say your name."

...What?

"Say your name."

But I don't know it? I don't know anything? That's why I'm asking you!

"Say your name."

But... damnit.

My name. What is my name? Who even am I?

The memories trapped in the back of my head began to scream louder. My name had to be back there, but how to find it.

I closed my eyes again, not that it really made a difference. I let my body relax, pushing my shoulders back and holding my chin up. My arms hung at my side, reaching out slightly with my hands open and flat. Gently, I took a deep breath of the darkness and exhaled, and then I repeated.

The pounding in my head slowly disintegrated. I let the darkness surround and consume me, wrapping its arms around me and pressing itself against me. It wasn't cold, or cruel like I had imagined. It was warm and comforting. It wasn't evil, rather it was good, it was kindness and peace. Slowly, the darkness crept inside. My brain went completely blank, quiet and free.

Now, think.

What is my name? What is my name? What is my name?

My eyes shot open. In front of me a darker silhouette against the pitch black shadows. It was leaning in towards me, mere inches from my face. A grin was spread across its face, along with a frown, a smirk, and every other expression possible.

"Say your name."

I open my mouth. "My name is..."