06. LEONOR FINI

chapter six ; leonor fini

"Does this look okay?" Maggie asked as she climbed into the pick up truck, a nervous expression on her face. Her father glanced over from the driver's seat, where he was reaching out the window to adjust the wing mirror. She wore a teal shirt that was tucked into a pair of denim jeans, pulled together by a black belt. In her arms was a denim jacket, to which he smiled at. 

"Double denim?" He asked, and she fiddled with the button on the overcoat. He patted her head, chuckling. "You look great, kiddo. Now, we need to head off if we wanna make it there on time."

Maggie sighed softly, beginning to fiddle with the stereo system, altering the volume of her dad's Creedence CD so that it filled the front seats comfortably. The teenager rested against the seat as the vehicle began moving down the street, towards what she thought would be her doom. It wasn't like she hated socialising, it was just that she wasn't very good at it. This was her father's boss she'd have to dine with, what if she messed up? Got her dad in trouble? The churning in her stomach hadn't stopped all day, and it only intensified when they pulled up outside one of the nicest houses she'd ever seen. 

"Wow," she whispered, leaning towards the windscreen as Edward parked the truck, her eyes wide in awe. "Nice place."

"I know, right?" Her dad chuckled, pulling the keys out and pushing them into the pocket of his jeans. He adjusted his glasses, having swapped his contacts for them, and straightened out his dress shirt. "Adrien does well for himself. C'mon kid, let's get inside."

Maggie swallowed nervously, before nodding and opening the door. She stepped out into the cold night air, wrapping her arms around herself and trailing after Edward, who marched enthusiastically towards the front door. Her heart was pounding and her chest felt tight, but she knew there was no backing out of it. 

About a moment after Edward knocked on the large door, it swung open to reveal a smiling face.

This must be Adrien, Maggie thought as she plastered a polite smile onto her lips. He was tall and had a wrinkled face -- not really what she had expected. His hair was balding and his smile was wide as he shook hands with her father. "Edward, glad you made it!"

"Thanks for inviting us," Edward grinned charmingly, his exhaustion hidden by his brilliant social skills. Maggie couldn't relate whatsoever, though she tried her best when she was gestured to. "This is my daughter, Magnolia."

"Magnolia, that's a nice name," Adrien said kindly, reaching to shake Maggie's hand as well, which she did without hesitance. She hoped her palm wasn't too clammy, as she had been wringing her hands since she left the apartment. She thanked him softly as she pulled away, watching anxiously as he stepped to the side and let them inside. "Please, come in."

"You have an amazing home, Adrien," Edward complimented, staring around the expensive house in astonishment, both him and Maggie taking in the lavish and modern furniture and artwork. Adrien waved his hand as if to modestly dismiss the comment, leading the Prince's into the kitchen, where a tall, dark haired lady was speaking to Liz, who was wearing a pretty blue dress and white heels. Maggie suddenly felt more insecure of what she was wearing at the sight of the Senior student. "Evening, Doris!"