04. KAY SAGE

chapter four ; kay sage

"Magnolia!" 

Maggie heard footsteps slap against the concrete behind her and she turned her head, her eyes slightly wide in surprise. She wasn't expecting to see Peter Parker running out of his apartment building and straight towards her. "Hi, Peter."

"Hey," the teenage boy stopped, slightly breathless. He fumbled slightly with his backpack, and the pair continued walking. Maggie shoved her phone in her pocket, giving Peter her full attention. "Uh, May said that you would be catching the train in the mornings, i-is it okay if I come with you?"

"Sure." Maggie smiled, a little more comfortable than she had been the previous days. Her heart was still beating a little quick and her hands were slightly shaky, but she assured herself that she was fine. Everything was fine. "I don't want to get lost, anyway."

Peter chuckled, before shoving his hands in his pockets. The pair walked in a slightly awkward silence, neither one knowing what to say. Maggie pursed her lips and popped them, as she was terrible at small talk. She turned to Peter, whose mouth was open just as she was about to say something. He noticed this too, and he gestured to her. "You first."

"Oh, uh, it was nothing important." She smiled lopsidedly. "I was just gonna say that you don't have to call me Magnolia, you can call me Maggie...i-if you want."

"Oh, yeah!" Peter smiled widely. "Maggie. I like that. Uh, you can call me Pete."

"Pete." Maggie smiled back. "I like that too."

☆★

Maggie had never been closer to another person than she was to Peter Parker on the Subway. She had never really liked trains or public transport as a child, the loud noises had always made her antsy, especially with her hearing aids and the uneven volume around her. On the rare occasion in which she would travel via train or bus, she was tempted to remove them and listen to the soft hum instead. 

The scent the wafted through her nose wasn't desirable on any level whatsoever, the lingering and harsh smell making her face scrunch up. She sat with her left shoulder practically attached to Peter's, and her right squashed up against a complete stranger's. Her heart was pounding and her eyes were flickering back and forth quickly. 

"You okay?" Peter asked, noticing her unease. Maggie breathlessly nodded, her lips pursed and her posture tight. Her hands were trembling a little and she was extremely alert, which made him lean forward a little. "Maggie? Um, do you wanna get off?"

"N-No, it's fine." She assured him, though it appeared she was trying to assure herself. Suddenly the brakes squealed as it drew to one of the stops, and out of pure fear, she grabbed Peter's wrist from beside her, her eyes wide and horrified. She barely realised she was holding onto him until she glanced over, seeing his bright red cheeks and how he stumbled over his words in that moment. "Sorry."