Chapter 27

Daniels POV

I woke up to the cries of the boys. I rolled over to see an empty bed. She was probably already in there. I got up and started for the nursery. "It's 3am, couldn't they have waited a few hours to burst into tears" I said, walking into the room and taking Isaac out of his bed. Surprisingly he wasn't the one who was crying the loudest and occasionally doing a sort of hiccup. I looked over to Alexis who was holding a very pale looking Aiden. "Is he okay?" I asked. Alexis looked at me. "I don't know. Isaac only started crying because Aiden was upset. He looks sick, do we take him to the pack doctor?" She asked worriedly.

Isaac had calmed down now, and was watching Aiden curiously. "Aw little guy, it's okay. He's gonna be fine. I promise" I kissed his head and looked over to Alexis. "I'll go call Doc, and you stay here with Aiden" I said and carried Isaac with me to our room to find my phone. Isaac was waving his arms around and gurgling. "Hold on little man, I gotta get my phone" I grabbed my phone and dialed the pack doctors number.

'Hello?'

"Hey Doc, it's Dan. Um, we're having some problems with Aiden. He's really pale and won't stop crying. And he keeps making this weird hiccuping sound. Do you mind coming up?"

'No, not at all. I'll be right up'

"Thanks"

'Goodbye'

"Goodbye"

I hung up and walked back to the nursery. "She's on her way, she'll be here soon" I told Alexis and put Isaac back down in his crib. She smiled at me, clearly in pain. It's one of those maternal things where the baby hurts, the mother hurts too. I walked over to her and took Aiden from her. I kissed her head, and brought her closer to me. "He's gonna be fine, he's probably just lactose intolerant or something" I suggested, she cracked a smile and kissed my cheek.

The doctor soon came and checked Aiden's temperature. His whole body was burning up, and she said he had to go to hospital. Alexis started crying so I held her close. I tried to reassure her that everything was going to be fine. But then the doctor interrupted and said that if they couldn't solve the problem soon, he would die.

What a bitch.

Alexis started crying harder, and then Isaac started crying too. It was like he understood what was going to happen. The doctor and Alexis left with Aiden to the hospital, while I stayed back and packed a bag for Alexis and another for Aiden. I knew Alexis wasn't going to leave him alone, she was probably going to stay there until he can come home.

If he can come home.

I took Aiden's small backpack from the cupboard and put some onesie pajamas and some outfits in it. I grabbed his teddy and put it in the bag. I went back into Alexis and I's bedroom and shoved some of Alexis' clothes into her overnight bag. I threw in her toiletries purse thing and her toothbrush. I quickly set up Isaac's carrier basket and placed him in and buckled him up. I ran down to the car with everything and put Isaac in the back. "Okay little man, we're going to see Aiden, okay? You don't need to be upset. He's fine" Isaac stopped crying when I gave him his teddy and I climbed in the front and drove to the hospital.

* * * * * * * * * * *

"Well we took an x-ray and it looks like he has Respiratory syncytial virus"

"What's that?" I asked. "It's a virus that causes what looks like a cold, with symptoms such as coughing and inflamed mucous membranes, but which may cause difficulty breathing or become a serious lung infection in very young infants. Premature infants are especially susceptible to this virus" She said, "You said that Aiden was born prematurely?" She asked. I nodded. She hummed and wrote down something on her clipboard.

"How do you stop it?" Asked Alexis. "Antiviral drugs or treatment of the symptoms. A preventative measure is the Synagis vaccine, which insurance should cover; it's recommended for premature infants during winter months" She answered, and checked Aiden's moniter. His heart was beating steadily, but he was still extremely pale. "We'll insert the medicine through the IV drip and it should start to clear up after a couple of hours" She walked over to Aiden's bed and started fiddling with a few things.

"So he's going to be fine?" Alexis asked. She nodded, "I suggest while you're here, you get both the babies down for their shots" Alexis nodded and the doctor left. "I'm going to the front desk to sort out the shots for the boys, you can stay if you'd like" I said getting up and taking Isaac with me. "Okay" Alexis got up and stood next to Aiden. "Come on little man, let's go get you shot" He made a little disapproving noise and I laughed. "Okay I'm sorry" He gurgled and flapped his arms at me.