1 - Square One

Beginne am Anfang

The familiar clink of crystal sounded underfoot, as Steven was carried onto another warp pad. And he dreaded where its destination was.

A million feelings were forming a river through his heart.

This was it. This was truly the end. The Crystal Gems were bound to have no idea where he was. It would surely seem like Steven had just disappeared out of thin air one night, never to return.

They would never know he was taken back into the strong hands of Homeworld.

Gravity evaporated as once again, Steven felt his body slowly floating upwards, constantly being yanked back toward the one holding his containment.

In all honesty, Steven was feeling morbid. He was so fearful, in fact, that his head was growing light. There was too much happening, that was NOT supposed to happen.

Steven should be asleep, back home, in his warm bed. He shouldn't be in a sack. Steven should be dreaming about Cookie Cats and waiting to hang out with Connie next week. He shouldn't be dreaming up the millions of ways the Diamonds were going to torture him to death, and be anxiously awaiting his absolute demise.

He should be fantasizing his next mission with Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst, NOT what death feels like.

Everything was so exasperating and unfair. Steven never asked to be involved with all of this gem craziness. He never asked to be different. He never asked for his Mother to be a murderer that caused a civil war among the heavens.

BUT NO. I can never get a break. I can never escape what Rose left behind for me to deal with, Steven thought, bitterly.

Then another jolt, and Steven was tossed back down towards the ground, just barely skimming over the floor. There were voices that suddenly hushed, and a tenseness that vibrated through the air. Time currently felt the the blade of a knife sharpening, just waiting to slice into its next victim.

Which, surprise surprise, just so happened to be a poor innocent muffin that did absolutely no wrong but is blamed for everything named Steven.

There was a silence that fell with the light from the warp pad that was unfamiliar and almost painful. Steven held his breath and stilled himself as much as humanly possible.

"Larimar. You're back." A gruff voice broke the silence.

"I'm back with company. Is Blue Diamond busy? I must see her immediately," Larimar, Steven's kidnapper asked.

Steven stifled a gasp. He KNEW he recognized that voice. His old warden was back to give him another life sentence in jail. And this time, there was no way he was receiving any form of parole.

The word 'company' was tossed around the room in whispers, before anyone actually answered Larimar's question.

"I believe she is at the human zoo currently." An angelic, authoritative voice stated.

"Alright. I need to speak with her, immediately and directly, for confidential reasons," Larimar stated, voice harsh and somewhat paranoid.

"Okay. I'll set you on a direct line." the same voice said again. Larimar hoisted Steven over her shoulder, and he jumped at the sudden movement. His skin was prickling and crawling with unease.

"Larimar, what company have you brought with you?" the gruff voice asked, amused. Larimar paused for a moment.

"That is confidential." she stated simply, continuing to follow the gem who was going to set him up to communicate with Blue Diamond.