When We Fell Apart

That day at the beach will always be one of my favorite moments of us. How can it not be? It was the day I made a plan of being happy with him for the rest of my life. I let go of all my doubts and fear, and chose to hold his hand instead. Completely.

But that was also the day before the storm started building up and eventually destroyed our relationship.

Summer was over. Rhapsody was back to juggling school, wrapping up his contract with Steel Note Records through a series of gigs out of town. We had our routine so we won't feel the distance and the horrible schedule so much. I called him as soon as I wake up, and he called me as soon as he finished his gigs.

We didn't care if the phone calls were either too early or too late. Sleepless nights spent talking with him were always better than sleepless nights spent missing him. I remember one time when he didn't call the whole day because he finished his day way too late and he didn't want to disturb me. I cried that same night because I missed him already. When he found out about my drama, he decided that he'll always call me at the end of his day. No matter how late it ends. He'll always call.

Rhapsody always called... until he didn't. Two days in a row. He had a series of shows out of town over the weekend. Last time I talked to him was before I went to an orphanage where I volunteered. I sent him text messages but he never responded. I waited for him to call, but he never did. I tried calling his band mates but none of them answered my calls, nor did they respond to my texts. I felt worried rather than angry. He never broke a promise.

On the third day of him being MIA, he suddenly appeared on our doorstep with a boyish grin. I wanted to punch him on the face for making me worry. But I missed him way too much to be violent. So, instead, I hugged him. Tight.

"Missed me?" Rhapsody said, before wrapping his arms around my waist. Tight.

"Ang sama mo." I mumbled.

He chuckled.

"I missed you sooo much too, Nanay." He said almost like a whisper. He sounded worried too.

"Are you okay?" I asked when I pulled away from him.

"Yeah." He looked down. "Shows were... crazy. I'm sorry if I made you worry."

"It's okay." I smiled and untied my hair. And then I tied his using my hair tie. "As long you're okay."

We spent the whole day together. We were sprawled on the living room floor listening to vynil records he brought. He gave me a turntable on our first month together. Since then, he's been giving me vynil records when he comes back from a few days of out of town shows. It was one of our "thing". While most couples our age make out endlessly, we listen to vynil records the whole day to make up for missing each other.

Rhapsody and I haven't kissed yet. There are times when he's tempted to, and so did I, but he's always managed to control himself. He said he wanted our first kiss to be the first to forever. Meaning, he's willing to wait until we get married. He wanted everything to be special for me. For us. But that seemed to change over time.

He started missing calls. Not responding to my messages. Being late for our dates. Cancelling a few of them. Whenever I asked why, his answer was always him being caught up with work and school.

That's when JP started to be my friend again. JP was there when Rhapsody didn't come when he said he would. He was there to pick me up in school when Rhapsody's manager would call me to say that he won't make it because he's still on a show. And the call would often be an hour after our supposed meet up. JP would just be there. Waiting with me. He would drive me home once Rhapsody or his manager confirms that he won't be able to see me.