Origin X Prologue X Birth

I opened my eyes, or at least I think I did, everything was so dark it was hard to tell. Here we go again, another day of hearing voices and sounds.  I don't know who or what I am. I can't see nor talk. The only reason I know I'm alive is because I would often hear the word Mai, the girl with the stitched lips and empty eyes. Her existence must be more real than mine since I hear people interact with her, talk to her, and live with her. But what about me? Do they not know I exist. It was the same deal each day of being unrecognized and living in darkness until one day it all changed.

8 years earlier*
~~~~~~~
"Happy birth-day dear...M-"

Huh? They remembered my birthday. And all this time I thought that I didn't exist to them. I still can't move or see anything.

"Happy birthday, Mai."

     Oh. They're singing to Mai. They're celebrating Mai. They're caring for Mai. They're... loving Mai.
      It has been five years since I've existed and the only way I knew about time is when they celebrate a new year.  I don't know who they are, but I'd often hear different names: mother, father, uncle, maid, client, trainer, tormentor, and some other names I can't remember. There are times where I hear an echo, a voice that is not mine and I assume it belonged to the girl they call Mai. I've tried talking to her, but it seems that she can't hear or is always ignoring me.

Her usual dialogues were "Yes, ma'am." or "I can't feel anything."

I would do anything to have her life, to be in her place, and to have a family. To have people look at me, interact with me, or at least give me a reason to live. Even though I've never experienced them myself, I'm aware of such things called emotions; they are things you sense within. How many there are I don't know, but the only one I regularly feel is fear. I'm scared of the dark, I dread to feel nothing, but worst of all I'm terrified to be alone. Sometimes I feel like I go insane in this little space, neither floating nor falling, just standing in one place.

As I lose myself in these thoughts, I start to feel something unpleasant, almost painful. Slowly, I feel a sharp pain as a thread slips throughout my body wrapping itself around me. I felt restraint as I fought to get free, then all at once there was a deafening sound and my eyes were inflamed. What is this! I couldn't bear the agony. After I screamed my lungs out, I felt weak. Everything seemed to have calmed down, soon after I opened my eyes.

"Where am I?" I spoke.

     And for the first time, I saw light and color. I could see shapes and figures of all kinds. In front of me were a pair of unfamiliar faces. However, their voices I recognized as Mai's parents. The female counterpart swayed her hand towards my cheeks. They trembled as her eyes became watery.

"Mai," she began. "Your stitches are gone. And your eyes..."

Mai... She thinks I'm Mai.

     The male figure came close to me, who I assumed the man was the father. "Sweetie, are you all right?"

     I better think quick. I needed to make a choice now. I didn't want to go back into the lonely darkness, but what would happen to the real Mia. Well, I mean. It's not like she cared.

"Yes, I'm all right," I responded, and for the very first time, I smiled. The two adults both embraced me by wrapping their arms around me. I wasn't sure what they were doing, but I felt something warm inside as if my body had been frozen and I was thawing. Beep Beep.

"Hmm?" I flinched and turned to see where the sound came from.

"What's wrong?" My mother asked.

I kept turning, but all was quiet. "Oh, nothing." I moved one leg forward, then easily collapsed to the floor.

"Oh sweetie what happened?" My mother chuckled as she picked me up, "Did you forget how to walk?" Walking, I can walk now. 

     After a few tries, all three of us walked together into a grand room with various other people inside, each one with a welcoming face. Even though there was no longer the sound of the beeping from before, I could hear one thing. A voice. Repeating the same word: kill... kill... kill...

"Who's there?" I demanded to no one in particular. As I searched for the speaker, I saw my reflection in a mirror except, it wasn't my image. It was Mai. Her stitches formed a wicked smile, and her eyes had no emotion. She was exactly as how everyone described her. Emotionless. It is the name I gave myself. Muhyōjōna, Muh for short. I know it's Japanese, but I like how it sounded. The word would come up so often that I decided to name myself that word.

"So, that's what you look like." She spoke steadily. "But you look normal. How can you be special?"

"What!?" My heart jumped. How does she know about me?  "What do you mean? Answer me!" I slammed on the mirror which shattered into different pieces.

"Mai!" my mother shouted. "What has gotten into you?" She began to pull me away from the glass. Even though I wasn't able to see the stitched girl, I could hear her. "They're planning to kill you. You're the one they've been waiting for."

     The next thing I knew, I was struggling to stay alive, each guest was a hurdle. I was almost poisoned, stabbed, sliced, burnt, and violated. In the end, I sat in a restrained chair in front of a crowd of people holding a weapon. My mother appeared in from of me, her eyes full of despair but even so, her words told a different story.

"It is time for you to show us your true nature, now that your stitches are gone, Dabria has arisen." She announced, "you didn't think that I wouldn't know you weren't Mai, right?"

     You mean, I had a real name? And my purpose is to kill! No, it can't be. I experienced a new emotion. Anger. In an instant, someone charged towards me with a sword. I managed to break out of the restraints and quickly swiped the weapon away, then proceeded on stabbing my victim several times. I didn't stop until he turned into a million pieces. I realized that during that session, I felt a tingling feeling inside me, almost pleasant. There's was blood all over me, and I felt hazy. I turned to my audience and craved to see more deaths. After I finished the massacre, my eyes narrowed at the people who I knew as mother and father.

My name is Muh, but you all know me as Mai. And today is the day I killed my parents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey there readers! I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter of Sewing A Smile.
*A word of advise, if you haven't read the first book To Kill an Assassin I highly recommend that you do because there will be a few references to the first book. I'm aiming this to be a connect the dots book, so prepare yourselves. ^.^ Till next time!