TEN

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

Night came as Nora and Veronica sat at the dinner table with the Blossoms. Red had covered the walls, just like each of their heads. Large chandeliers shone above them as they ate in peace. No sound could be heard except the sounds of cutlery, ringing in Nora's ears as she sat there, awkwardly. Cheryl sat beside Veronica as Nora sat across from her beside Rose Blossom, Cheryl's grandmother.

Veronica looked up from her plate and her eyes drifted towards Nora's who sat uncomfortably in her seat. "Thank you for having Nora and me," Veronica said, breaking the silence. Veronica spoke up for Nora knowing that she wasn't going to say anything. Nora hated being in this house, and everyone knew it, she wasn't going to indulge in conversation, just yet.

"Cheryl invited you," Penelope Blossom spoke as she placed her glass of wine down, "I have no idea why you two are here," she finished with a fake smile, before continuing to eat. Veronica stared at Penelope before glancing at Nora who hadn't looked up at anyone since she sat down. "Me neither," Veronica told Cheryl's mom. "I thought there'd be other girls."

Veronica looked down at her food and began to eat, but not without glancing at Nora every once in a while. Nora didn't notice a thing. She didn't want to be here and if anything, she would rather be at home, arguing with her mother than anywhere near here. Veronica felt bad for making her come here, but Veronica couldn't do this alone. She needed someone.

"Nana Rose, would you like some more ham?" Clifford Blossom asked.

There was no reply. Clifford Blossom looked over at Nana Rose to see that she was staring, unblinkingly, at the wall behind Veronica and Cheryl. Clifford sighed and slammed the fork onto the plate of ham before looking at his plate.

"Veronica, would you like some more maple ham?" Clifford asked.

"I'm good. It's delicious, though," Veronica told the family, "you can really taste the maple," she told them as she took another bite of her food. Nora wasn't really eating and was picking at her food. Apparently, no one seemed to notice, well, except Veronica. "You do know Riverdale was founded on the maple-syrup industry," Clifford told Veronica.

Nora sighed as she had already known this, not really wanted to talk about the Blossom's family business and their history now. "I didn't, actually. Fascinating," Veronica said, seeming bored with the conversation. "That's where Sweetwater River got its name," Clifford said causing Nora to sigh a little louder, looking up from her food for the first time.

"Perhaps you should ask your father about it sometime," Clifford said, causing everyone, but Nana Rose to turn to him. "How is he, by the way?" Clifford asked a small smirk on his face, causing Nora to glare at him. "Okay," Veronica replied, not really wanting to. "There are worse things than prison," Penelope stated.