Chapter Six: Weighing of the Wands

Start from the beginning

"Sorry." Jisoo turned back to look at her brother. "i have to go."

"Ofcourse." Yoongi bowed in acknowledgement.

"See you later Jichu." Seokjin went to kiss jisoo's forehead and waved at her goodbye.

***

The next morning, almost all the students were gathered at the Ollivander's to witness the Weighing of the Wands. Before the Tournament could commence, each Champion's wand had to be tested to ensure that it was in full working order and would be able to be used effectively by the Champion during the tasks. Park Teddy of the Ollivander's Wand shop was to preside over a short ceremony in which he would be testing each wand in turn, examining it for defects and breakages.

"Good day. Teddy Park-ssi." Headmaster YG greeted once he arrived together with the three champions and their headmasters/mistress.

"Good day to you too, Headmaster Yang Hyun Suk." Teddy replied then eyed the three champions behind him. "And these must be the champions. If I might say, they're an incredible sight to see."

Teddy was standing by the door of his ancestor's shop to greet his visitors while the champions were just standing by their headmaster's side. Teddy eyed the three champions one by one. Taehyung was just beside Yang Hyun Suk, his face was blank while both Jisoo and Taeyong were having a serious expression on their faces. Finally, Teddy invited them inside to which the other ministry officials were already waiting.

"Let's start the Weighing now, shall we?" Headmaster YG declared. "Let's start with Beauxbaton's champion, Kim Jisoo." He announced and the girl immediately went forward with her wand in her hand.

Jisoo then offered her wand to Teddy and the man immediately grabbed it delicately. He examined the object carefully while muttering something that jisoo couldn't understand.

"I see." Teddy nodded to himself and then turned towards Jisoo with his amused looks. "I guess we quite an adventurous champion right here." He added but Jisoo knitted her brows in confusion. "A Dogwood wand or Cornus is ideal to the kind of owner who is always entertaining. Dogwood wands are quirky and mischievous. They have playful natures and insist upon partners who can provide them with scope for excitement and fun." Teddy explained to which Jisoo couldn't figure out how to really feel about.

"In short, a reckless wand." Taeyong commented. "Just like the owner."

Jisoo glared towards Taeyong but the boy just scoffed and smirked. Taehyung on the other hand was still quiet but his eyes were glued towards Jisoo and taeyong who seemed to have their own world.

"It's core is very rare. Perhaps the rarest core type." Teddy continued to examine Jisoo's wand. "Phoenix Feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches or wizards dislike." Teddy added.

"As what I've been telling you—"

"Oh, shut up. Lee taeyong." Jisoo cut off, growling at the boy.

"Let me see your wand, boy?" Teddy then placed Jisoo's wand on the table and reached for taeyong's wand.

Taeyong quickly stopped on glaring at Jisoo and went to place his wand on teddy's. Teddy then started to examine his wand while everyone waited for his reaction.

"Ah. A Black Walnut, i see. A less common than the standard walnut wand." Teddy started. "A black walnut seeks a master of good instincts and powerful insight." Teddy furthered to which Taeyong was pleased to hear and gave Jisoo a smirk. "Black walnut wood is a very handsome wood, but not the easiest to master. So i guess its master is indeed a very skillful wizard."

Jisoo was furious. Just hearing all those good things about Taeyong was making her irk. Taeyong kept on smirking and how she wished to rip that smug face of him. Jisoo tried to calm herself and whipped her eyes away from Taeyong but ended up looking at Taehyung's direction. She felt herself shivering when she noticed the dark expression that taehyung was wearing.

"A dragon heartstring." Teddy's voice made jisoo stare away from Taehyung. "Lee taeyong-ssi's wand has dragon heartsring as its core and as a rule, it produces wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types and they always bond strongly with their current owner but dragon wands are easiest to turn to the Dark Arts." Teddy finished.

Hearing the last part of teddy's explaination, Taeyong became uneasy. It's not like he practises Dark Arts but just the thought of it made him feel bad and what's worse was that Jisoo seemed to noticed his gloomy expression and started to snicker.

"And may I see yours, young lad?" Teddy asked, looking at Taehyung.

Both Jisoo and Taeyong stopped their silent bickering and looked back at Taehyung who immediately went to give his wand at teddy. Teddy examined it while taehyung kept on his blank face.

"Yew wands or Taxus are among the rarer kinds, and their ideal matches are likewise unusual, and occasionally notorius." Teddy expalined and they all stared at Taehyung with alarmed looks. "The wand of Yew is reputed to endow its posseser with the power of life and death." Teddy then looked at Taehyung with curiousity. "This wand core is a Horned Serpent horn which are exceptional powerful. And to what I heard, this wand is also sensitive to Parseltongue and warns its owner of danger by emitting a low musical tone."

Again, everyone looked at Taehyung. Taehyung wasn't that fool to know what they were all thinking. Taehyung was known for being one of the remaining purebloods and as a descendant of Salazar Slytherin, he indeed know hoe to speak parseltongue. But only a few knew about this fact.

"Okay!" Headmaster YG interrupted. "Shall we proceed to the actual testing?"

Teddy tested each wand in turn, examining it for defects and breakages, then he performed a simple magic spell to see how it responded. Satisfied that all the wands were in excellent condition, he pronounced that they were fit for the Tournament.

***

"I told you, Irene! I don't need help!" Taehyung whispered angrily.

Just after the Weighing of the wands, Taehyung saw a familiar figure among the waiting crowd in front of the ollivander's Shop. Taehyung immediately glared towards the woman and thought of ignoring her but knowing her, she was just probably there to deliver a message from his father. Irene was a Veela and she was a personal messenger of Taehyung's father especially if the message involves his son.

The Veela are a race of semi-human, semi-magical humanoids . Little is known about their biology; and they appear to be young, beautiful humans. Their looks and especially their dance is magically seductive to almost all male beings, which causes such males to perform strange actions in order to get nearer to the Veela.

Just when Taehyung and Irene were still in a heated argument, Jisoo was walking part the narrow way to which they were talking. Jisoo saw them and quickly hid herself. She noticed that the woman with taehyung was very beautiful and even thought of her being his girlfriend.

"Aishh. That bloody player!" Jisoo whispered to herself. "And he even tried to steal my first kiss even though he has already a girlfriend!" Jisoo unknowing kick the ground but unfortunately, her feet kick something else, making a loud noise. "Oh, blimey!"

"Who's there?!"

Jisoo heard taehyung call and she immediately and quietly turned around to run but a hand suddenly caught her arm and turned her to face them. Jisoo's eyes widen upon seeing taehyung smirking at her.

\