Chapter Two:

“Phil, it's time to go! Hurry up and finish packing!” Phil’s mother called up the stairs as Phil was just finishing putting the last of his clothes in his trunk. He looked up at the wall at his poster of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, still trying to decide whether or not he would take the poster with him. He’d have to decorate his side of the room somehow.

Sighing, Phil peeled the poster off the wall, rolling it up and shoving it into his blue backpack. He slipped his phone into the back pocket of his black jeans and zipped up his bag, slinging it over his shoulder.

“Coming, mum!” he called, making his way down the spiral staircase that creaked underfoot. He dragged his trunk down the steps, letting it bang on every step. Mrs. Lester was in the kitchen, humming to herself as she stirred something at a steaming pot on the stove. His mother was highly skilled at potion making and he assumed that she was making one of the many she had accomplished over the years.

Phil padded into the kitchen, leaving his trunk and bag by the door. “I’m ready,” he said as he strolled into the room. His mother looked up from her cooking, smiling softly at her son.

“Your taxi will be here in a minute, love. Go and wait outside,” his mother said, going right back to her potion making. Phil sighed, looking down at his feet. He should have known his mother wouldn't suddenly care about him going to his new school. She never cared much for him.

Phil nodded and turned to exit. “I’ll see you at Christmas,” he whispered, barely above a whisper. Suddenly, cutting into the silence like a blade, Phil heard a horn outside. He grabbed his bag and his trunk and opened the heavy black front door. He shut it behind him and trudged towards the car, in a half daze.

“Hello, sir,” Phil greeted, helping the taxi driver shove his trunk into the back of the car. The older gentleman tipped his hat and shut the back, going over to his side of the car. Phil climbed into the passenger's seat beside him and pulled his phone out of his back pocket before buckling his seatbelt.

Phil arrived at Waterloo several hours later, exhausted out of his mind. Due to living in Rawtenstall, which only reached Manchester, he had to take another train from Manchester to get to London Waterloo Railway Station. He was to meet the Draxicord Express train there to get to school.

Phil dragged his case up the broken escalator, his case felt heavier each step he took as it scraped unnaturally up each step. He looked at his watch. It was 12 o’clock. He still had another half hour until his train would leave and he would be on his way to Draxicord School of Elements. His stomach twisted excitedly and he gained a rush of energy.

Platform six was crowded already very crowded by the time he got there. Students and parents alike were roaming around the platform, saying their goodbyes as the pupils boarded the express train. A station master was pacing around, conducting students to board the train and make room for the others in the crowded area.

“Oi, four eyes. Put your case with the others, would ye?” the station master hollered, his eyes glinting at Phil, making his stomach twist nervously. He bobbed his head stiffly and placed his trunk with the others. He carried his bag over his shoulders and clambered up the steps of the train, almost tripping over his feet.

Phil navigated his way through the small maze of students in the corridor of the train, apologising every few steps when he inevitably bashes into his peers. He looked inside each individual compartment, finding most of them occupied by fellow pupils. Eventually, Phil reached the public compartment which had lots of rows of double seaters and a few four seaters around tables.