Chapter Twelve: The Truck

Start from the beginning

            I pushed a smile onto my lips, It worked. I held the button again speaking clearly. "Kay?" I moved my finger from the button and waited.

            I waited what felt like forever until a rough voice exploded threw the little machine. "Soph?!" Korse… his voice was calming the second I heard it, I didn’t realize how tense I was until I could hear him… my big brother.

            "Hi.." I said and heard him laugh through the other end.

            "Hi yourself! those killjoys took you from the hospital before I got to see you! are you okay" he paused static filling the air "Are you still…" He trailed off, this time a real smile crept onto my lips. I felt proud to say my next words.

            "I quit Kay! I haven't had any sober sense the hospital" I giggled as the words left my mouth, it was triumphant. Korse didn’t answer though, the line was quiet, the normal scratchy voice not filling the desert with a 'good job Sophie' or a 'that’s awesome' I cleared my throat then hit the button speaking. "Kay…?" 

            "Those Fools gave you sober in the hospital?!" he yelled, I jumped dropping the walkie-talkie in the sand I scrambled to pick it up and answer.

            "Yeah… but I haven't had any sense then" I said, I heard Korse's deep sigh on the other end, my joy faded a little.. I had been expecting him to be happy but not angry even f his anger wasn’t directed at me.

            "That’s still great sis.. I'm sorry I told them not to give you any…but they never listen" He chucked, the sound comforting… almost like Gerard's hugs…or his voice. I shook my head shaking out the thought. I cant be thinking of Party now, I havent talked to my brother in over a year. "But you've been clean for how long now?" He paused I could almost see him counting the months on his fingers "Six months-ish?" 

            I held down the button and giggled "Yeah six months"

            "Are you laughing?" He asked, I could hear the excitement in his voice.

            "Yeah, Korse its so amazing I can feel things again! Its so nice sometimes around Mikey I just feel all warm and happy, like the way I feel talking to you! other times its kinda sad… but I get these butterflies with Party" I rambled on and on about the emotions I felt, Korse listened his laughter and short "yeahs?" and "that’s awesome sophs" coming through often.

            "You know I haven't seen you in a long time little sis" Kay said, his smile clear through his voice even while the old walkie-talkie mangled it. 

            "I know!" I said smiling, I couldn’t help but smile. I loved my brother… He would protect me from anything.

            "Maybe you could take your bike to the city sometime, Spend the night here" He said, I smiled at the idea then remembered.

            my bike was gone, the one korse had given me for quitting

            "Oh…. uh Kay" I said stuttering. "I don’t have my bike… it got lost when I got taken to the city.." I heard korse's chuckle threw the line again, it brought back up my spirits.

            "Want me to send you a new one? Or maybe your killjoys friends could drive you to city limits, You said one was named Mikey and Party?" He Paused and thought for a second. "what are the names of all your friends sis" He asked I smiled happy to share. I decided to give kay their killjoy names, because if he knew them it would be by those names.