Chapter 5: Friends?

Start from the beginning

"S-so, what a-are the jobs?" You stuttered, trying to act casual. 'Get a grip of yourself ' you thought.

"Now, that you mention it, Gonna put you with the Slicers. Good luck slicing up bloody piggies, Greenie."

You were tired of being called that. "Would you quit calling me that. I have a name, it's (Y/n)."

Newt leaned back, eyebrows raised, mocking you, "Burn me- you've been going out with Tommy much, have ya?" You rolled your eyes at him, "Good thing he could keep his mouth shut for a while."

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since tommy got attacked-" Newt stopped mid-sentence, you were sure that something was fishy.

"Go on, why did you stop? There's something you're hiding from me." You gave Newt a hard look. You've had enough games and wanted answers. "Why are you all so secretive? What are you trying to hide?"

Newt frowned, "Listen here, Greenie. If-" you cut him off,

"No, you listen, I've been here two days and I can't just cower in the dark while you all try to hide it. The thing. Whatever. From me." The words didn't feel right, it was as if someone else was talking.

"He was stung." You blinked at Newt. Surprised that he spoke. "What?"

"The boy that attacked Thomas was stung." Newt stated, you noticed something was off.

"Okay..." You trailed off, "by what?"

Newt sighed before looking at you in the eye. "A Griever." It was a no-brainer; the boy was obviously a Runner. You felt the tension around you as your mind raced with questions and theories. What happened to the boy? Did the sting kill him? Or was there a cure to it?

"Come on." Newt smiled, he stood up and held his hand out for you. You hesitated then accepted it, getting on your feet.

You stood next to Newt in front of the barn of the Blood house, getting ready for your first job in the Glade. Maybe this was a bad idea, you couldn't remember having to kill animals but it was a hundred percent, not your thing. Cows mooed, pigs squealed, sheep bleated all around you. Somewhere nearby, a dog barked. You hoped that Frypan didn't bring a whole new meaning to hot dog.

"(Y/n), are you even listening to me?"

You snapped out of your daze. Apparently, Newt had been talking the whole time and you didn't catch a word. "Sorry. Didn't get enough sleep." You said, attempting a sarcastic smile. If that was even possible.

"Why not?" He asked, his smile betraying him. You raised your arms in frustration.

"Oh, I don't know, cause you woke me."

"Okay okay, you win. Happy?" He chuckled, making you smile in victory.

You looked over Newt's shoulder at the big faded-red barn. "So, what's first? Milk cows or slaughter poor little piggies?"

Newt laughed, a sound you realized you haven't heard since you arrived. "We usually make Newbies start with the bloody Slicers. Slicers do anything and everything dealin' with the beasties."

You sighed deeply. "Great."

Newt nodded toward the barn. "Don't worry, this won't be the only job you get. Let's go meet Winston-he's the Keeper."

Winston was an acne-covered kid, short but muscular. To you, he seemed to like his job a little too much. It was almost as if he was a serial killer or something.

Winston showed you around for the first hour, mostly showing off but nevertheless, he pointed out where the chicken and turkey coops were, which pens held which animal, what went where in the barn. The dog, a pesky black Lab named Bark, took a liking to you. Sticking by your feet throughout the tour. Wondering where he came from, you asked Winston, who said that he was always around.

The second hour was spent actually working with the farm animals- feeding, cleaning, fixing a fence which was nearly impossible but still.

The third hour was almost unbearable. You had to watch Winston slaughter a hog and prepare its parts for the next meal. You swore two things to yourself as you walked away for lunch. One, your career will NOT be with the Slicers, two, you'll never eat anything out of a pig.

Too absorbed in your thoughts, you bumped into someone. Rubbing your head, you looked up to find Newt with the same expression.

"Why someone looks pale."

***
Hi.
Sorry if the story isn't how you wanted it. I'm not much of a romantic but I am indeed disappointed in myself for coming up with this. Please do find it in your heart to forgive me.
Farewell, my esteemed readers:(