Chapter 4: The Demon

After hours of hiding in her room in fear, Jo carefully stepped out of her room, hoping to be unseen.

Unfortunately, Robin spotted her almost immediately spotted her, "Hey Jo, can I, uh, talk to you for a second?"

Her heart dropped in her chest, but she managed to croak, "Oh, um, yeah, sure."

They walked into the hallway for some privacy.

"So, is everything alright with you and Beast Boy?"

Jo shook "I don't think so. He doesn't seem to trust me very much."

"Well, Beast Boy is going through a hard time right now." He sighed "But, he also told me something."

Her heart started pounding in her chest "What?"

"Do you... Do you have powers?"

"No." Jo said much too quickly.

"You don't have to be worried if you do. We could help you. I just need to know."

"I don't. I don't have powers."

"Are you sure? Because Beast Boy told me that you pushed him without touching him. He said you pushed him with your mind."

"No. He's mistaken. I remember pushing him. I'm sorry about it, too. I was just upset. But I didn't do it with my mind."

Robin put his hand on her shoulder "Are you sure? Like I said, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Jo nodded, "I'm sure."

He sighed "Alright, then. Sorry for bothering you."

Jo walked into her room and flopped on her bed.

"They're onto me." She said to herself "I can't let them know."

Oh, The familiar voice cooed in her head. And why not?

"Get out of my head!" Jo shouted, hitting her forehead

Don't hurt yourself! I'm not going anywhere.

"Fine. But whatever you're doing to me, you need to stop it now!"

What have I done?

"Giving me these... powers that I've never had before. It's scary. And dangerous."

Oh, please, my child. All I'm doing is unlocking your full potential

"Please don't! My life, my powers are hard enough to control! I don't need you 'unlocking' any extra problems for me!"

You are already so powerful as it is, my dear. Why not become who you were truly meant to be? Why hang around these people when you can be so much more?

"I don't want to be more! I want you to get out of me!"

My dear, I'm afraid that's not possible.

"And why not?"

Because I am a part of you. I have been with you since you were a young child. I was there when you first discovered your powers. Believe it or not, I helped you control them. I helped you in ways you would not even begin to understand. But I don't do it for me. I do it for us. I do it because I am a part of you. I do it because I am you.

"No. You're just a demon that won't leave me alone."

If only that were true.

"It is true. You're just an unwanted visitor."

Someone knocked on the door, "Jo?" Robin called "Is everything okay in there?"

"Uh, yeah!" She said "Everything's fine!"

"Is there someone else in there?"

"No."

"Okay..."

"See, now look what you've done!" She hissed "You're making me look like a lunatic!"

Perhaps that is because that is what you are.

"Oh, shut up!"