Era of Truth

A breeze rustled through Leandyr's hair, caressing his scalp like the gentle hand of a lover. But that comfort did nothing to abate the icy chill of unease that crawled down his back. He wasn't sure what brought on the feeling, whether it was Lady Hiroh's impending visit, or some danger yet to be seen.

"This had better not be another joke of yours, Leandyr." Videlia gave him a sidelong stare before moving to the King's side.

Barish was atop a mighty, red steed, his crown glinting in the summer sun. Ridivan was to his right with Enver by his side. The Scribe had already cast Leadyr a few worried glances. The Yilmaz stood dispersed around them, and Videlia had a contingent of guards keeping their section of the docks clear of nosey citizens. It was standard procedure for an important guest of the King.

They'd been like so for nearly half an hour, but no boat had come and none was in sight. Rolling waves stretched endlessly before them, diamonds of light dancing on their crests. To the northwest the edge of Sestar could be seen, across the gaping maw of the Serpent's Strait. That was the direction everyone was watching, eager for the first sight of Lady Hiroh.

Leandyr wasn't worried about Ayzel honouring her word, but he was worried about the King's patience running out.

He was pulled from his thoughts when a prickle of magic ran across his skin. The Yilmaz tightened their formation and drew their daggers. A pillar of water rose from the sea, stretching and arching before touching down on the dock.

It writhed and undulated, taking the shape of a woman. Her plated boots appeared first followed by chainmail greaves made of onyx, a breastplate emblazoned with a falcon and gauntleted hands. Her hair was strung with gems and pulled into a neat bun at the back of her head.

Leandyr was the first to regain his composure. "My Lady Hiroh." He moved to her side and ushered her forward. "I'm happy you made it here alright."

"Sorry, I got a little sidetracked," she said, low enough so only he may hear.

Barish came down from his horse. "Lady Azel." He extended both his hands in greeting. "It's nice to see you in good health after all these years."

Lady Hiroh clasped forearms with him and inclined her head in a small bow. "King Barish. I assure you the sentiment is shared."

The King smiled at that and something flashed in his eyes. Something that made Leandyr's stomach turn. "You remember my heir, Ridivan, don't you?"

"Of course." Ayzel nodded to the person in question.

"A pleasure to see you again, Lady Hiroh." Ridivan gave her a tight smile. "Thank you for taking the time out to visit."

Enver stepped forward, his eyes lighting up like a child in a shop full of sweets. "It is my understanding that the Hiroh Clan has a long history. Is it possible for us to sit down and talk? I'd love to pick your brain."

Ayzel gave him a sheepish smile. "Well, I'm not sure... I mean, I don't know exactly what's on the schedule today. I suppose, later perhaps, if there's time."

"Oh, not to worry, we have a full day planned for you," Barish said. "But unfortunately, I have a meeting to catch. Allow me to spare two of my guards to aid you for the day."

Leandyr scowled as two Yilmaz stepped forward. "I assure you there's no need for that, my King. I will be with Lady Hiroh, and I can surely guard her better than these clowns." He didn't miss the dirty look that one of the clowns in question shot him, and he sneered in response.

"I insist." Barish turned and mounted his steed in one fluid motion. "Besides, one can never be too careful."

Ridivan gave lady Hiroh a smile and nod. "We shall catch up at lunch, my Lady."

Leandyr gave their two Yilmaz watchdogs a stare that could freeze the Serpent's Strait. "Lady Ayzel, I'm sure you're eager to visit the temple. We have the whole morning so there's no rush. Afterwards we'll meet with his Highness at the castle for lunch."

She gave him a warm smile. "That sounds wonderful. Thank you, Swordmaster."

"Right this way." They started towards the main road, where curious civilians were still gathered.

"Swordmaster," one of the Yilmaz said. "I would advise against taking such a crowded—"

"I don't recall asking for advice." As they neared the crowd, he stepped in front of Lady Hiroh and placed a hand on his sword. The civilians scattered like roaches, giving them a wide berth as they passed.

"You have quite the effect on people," Ayzel said, her eyebrows arched high.

"I have a reputation for being a hellion. Not conducive for small talk, but I make a useful guard." He smiled ruefully. "So, what kept you?"

She reached into the bun at her nape and pulled out a glowing red scale. "I still don't know where they're coming from, but this one was near your docks. Enduwir is searching the area."

Leandyr nodded. Having a monolith nearby – and one that was tamed by Lady Hiroh – made him feel somewhat better.