C H A P T E R 45

Chapter 45: Burning Up

══════

   Attached to Coulson's hip, I followed our team as we met up with FitzSimmons in the lab. Mack, Lincoln, and Elena joined us and Dr. Radcliffe hovered close behind.

   "Daisy's in trouble." Jemma spoke frantically to Phil, "There's been a malfunction in her containment module."

   "Yeah, we already have that problem figured out." Coulson pointed towards me and I lifted my hand to wave.

   "Sophia had a premonition. Have you checked the plane feed?" Mack questioned.

   "Yes, it went dark after the earthquake," Fitz informed.

   "Fix the issue and report back to me asap." Coulson's looked forward to Melinda and she nodded her head.

   "Fitz," She beckoned and he immediately followed her.

   Coulson looked to Dr. Radcliffe, "What the hell are your primitives capable of?"

   The doctor shrunk into the side of the door, stuttering slightly, "Well, it's hard to say, really. I mean, these creatures are in their infancy."

   "You did create them, didn't you?" Mack asked.

   "It was either that or be eaten. I never would've created something so unsophisticated. I mean, the crudeness of these creatures is really quite..." He babbled on and his eyes trailed over to meet mine. My crossed arms and eye squint were enough to silently tell him to choose his words wisely, "...Heartbreaking."

   "We'll discuss the consequences of your science fair later. Right now, we need to know what exactly we're up against." Coulson spoke affirmatively.

   Radcliffe took a deep breath in as he racked his brain for information, "The primitives possess adrenaline-induced peak-human strength, but rather poor eyesight. They're connected to Hive in the same way that Daisy was, but they don't exhibit any original thoughts of their own."

   "They have memories?" Jemma asked.

   "They possess memories of previous talents— weapon skills and the like," he answered back nonchalantly.

   "You do realize that there are 28 turned S.H.I.E.L.D agents that know all the in's and out's of this base. How long before they find their way through the hangar doors?" I questioned with a hint of anger laced in my tone.

   "Several hours at the least." Radcliffe reasoned.

   The sound of metallic thumping drawled our attention to the floor. The lights began to flicker and my heart rate increased.

   "They may not have to..." I bargained. My palms grew sweaty and my headaches. I could sense them, the primitives, "They're already here."

   "They're in the vents," Mack concluded for me.

   Coulson's face hardened and he ordered Al to quickly lock down the armory, "Simmons secure what you can in the lab and then rendezvous in my office. Lincoln and I will protect the nerve center."

   "What about me, sir?" I asked.

   Phil looked at me, the frustration he felt still apparent. He mumbled to himself, debating whether to spend precious time trying to get Simmons to give me a head CT, or to lock me in a containment module and risk the primitives finding me or the craziest option of the all... swallow his pride and trust me.

   "You're with us," the words came out of his mouth and I was a tad bit surprised. The small group broke apart and I followed in step behind Coulson.