C H A P T E R 26

Chapter 26: One Bad Thing After Another

══════

   Everyone's shock and confusion prickled the back of my neck. With agents on either side of him, Andrew was lead to a containment room. Coulson had a firm hand on my upper arm. His grip helped stabilize the shakiness in my legs.

   "Well, at least this day can't get any weirder." He stated sarcastically.

   "Famous last words." I quipped, tired.

   "I can't believe I'm saying this but May you can't go." He looked at Melinda, frustration and sincerity mixed in his voice.

   May shook her head in an attempt to argue with him, "What? Yes I can." She protested.

   Coulson let out a sigh before telling May that Andrew was going away for good, and that she had to say goodbye before it was too late.

   "That man is a killer. I have no loyalty to him. The man I cared about wouldn't do those things." May barked through her teeth.

   "He wasn't himself, and now he's saying he may never be himself again." Coulson took a deep breath and shook his head, searching for words

   "If you don't go be with him right now, you're gonna regret that for the rest of your life."

   I looked over my shoulder, and my eyes met with May's. Her face grew hard, but her eyes remained torn. May knew how to separate herself when it came to missions... she knew the mission was priority over all else. But this was Andrew.

   "I'll do it, May." Daisy proposed and Coulson's attention switched to her.

   "Absolutely not."

   "Sir, I'm the best choice to handle this, and since Bobbi's gone and Sophia is still hurt, I'm the only one left who can."

   I studied Daisy as she spoke; she really wanted to be the one to help Charles. Deep down that's all she wanted to do, she didn't want to let another innocents life slip through her fingers.

   "And test Fitz's and Sophia's theory that all this will play out just as you envisioned?"

   "Everyone else stays back to make sure we're still altering the end. You, Lincoln, no one leaves H.Q."

   Daisy took a short breath before concluding her statement, "Coulson, I can do this."

   By Coulson's body posture I could tell she was slowly withering away his doubt on her completing this mission instead of May.

   "I say you let her do it."

   Phil looked down at me slightly confused. His elbow lightly nudged me, urging me to go on.

    "As she said, she's the only one capable of completing this mission right now. And the more time we waste here bickering about who stays and who goes, we could be out there right now saving his life... But we won't accomplish that unless she does it. Phil, we only saw the inbetween moments, not the end result, so who's to say she don't save him. We make out the visions to be one thing but they can play out another way... our brain is capable of deceiving us. I know you respect my judgement, sir, so respect it right now. She's meant to save him, I can feel it."

   A brief silence fell over Coulson as he contemplated. He let out a sigh and closed his eyes, "Fine. You go."

   She nodded her head and silently thanked me. Coulson rubbed the bridge of nose, and I smiled.