F I F T E E N

"You have reached the voice mailbox of...Liam Payne. Please leave a message after the beep."

I huffed in annoyance.

"Beep."

"Hey, Liam..." My voice seemed to get quieter all of a sudden, out of nervousness. I grabbed a lock of my hair and began twisting it around my finger. "You told me to call you...actually, all of you did, haha."

I gulped and rolled my eyes at myself. What was this?

"Anyway, just call me back when you can."

There was a long pause as I stared into the distance, zoning out for a second. When I finally came back to reality, I continued, "Yeah – so, bye." I hung up.

"Carter!" Miranda called from the kitchen.

I walked through the room doors, entering the bright kitchen area. My stepsister was currently eating a bowl of cereal at the breakfast nook. "Yeah?"

"Who were you talking to?" She put a spoon of cereal into her mouth.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Uh, just someone from school." I had a feeling that she wouldn't like the truth.

Miranda nodded her head, "Ah, okay. Anything wrong?"

I chuckled, "No, just some homework that I didn't really understand. They cleared it up for me, don't worry."

"What class is it?" She stirred the contents in her bowl. "You could've just asked me."

I racked my brain for a class that I'm sure she didn't have. "Err, Physics."

"Oh."

The two of us stayed silent after that, Miranda enjoying her breakfast and me standing there looking like an idiot. Every few seconds I'd unlock my phone to see if I had any new messages, but there were none.

I was starting to get worried. I mean, that was sort of ironic since the day before all five of the lads were worried about me. But what if Liam had changed his mind about the whole thing? It's not like I didn't want him to because of the money, but because I didn't want him to think that I was too much a punk to handle everything.

I was apparently dating a member of One Direction, so what? It wasn't that big of a deal. I could do it. I would prove it to everyone.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by a loud ringing filling the room, making me jump. Miranda gave me a funny look but I ignored her and picked up my phone.

Speak of the devil.

"Who is it?" She asked, trying to peek at it.

I pulled the phone a little closer to me out of habit. "Uh, the classmate. I'll be back."

I dashed out of the kitchen and up the stairs, tapping answer and nearly shutting the door behind me.

"Hello?"

I sounded out of breath but I couldn't care less at the moment.

Liam let out a sigh of relief, "Carter, are you okay? We've been trying to contact you but you haven't been answering...I hope everything's alright over there."

I flopped down on my bed, turning over onto my stomach. "I'm fine Liam, don't worry. I was just a little shaken is all." Yeah right. "I'm cool with it now."

"You sure about that?" He persisted. "Sometimes our fans can get a bit reckless..."

A bit?

"Yeah, I'm sure. Let them talk, y'know? It'll be over soon."

There was a long pause.

I thought that Liam had accidentally hung up on me because he wasn't replying, but just as I was about to hang up also he replied. "Yup. It'll be over soon."

I laughed into the phone, suddenly feeling better than before. "Anyway, let's have some fun today."

"Fun?" Liam sounded a little confused. "What kind of fun?"

"Why not come over?" I shrugged. "We could..." My eyes traveled around my room for inspiration. "Eat ice cream and watch Netflix!"

"That's random, but okay," Liam chuckled. "I'll come over tonight, alright?"

"Okay," I grinned. "See you."

"See you, Carter."

.

.

.

At around six in the evening, I remembered that we were out of ice cream.

It was a sudden thought. The week before, my cousins had come over from Wales and eaten all of it in a day. I didn't think that I would need anymore because I wasn't one to eat ice cream that often, and Miranda wouldn't eat the whole thing.

I could always just call off the ice cream part, but what if Liam was looking forward to ice cream? What if he got upset because he was expecting it to be there and it wasn't?

It was irrational but it made sense in my mind, so I pulled on a pair of warm Uggs, and in only pajama bottoms and a hoodie with my university plastered on the front, I slipped out the house unnoticed by Miranda.

The store was in walking distance from our place, so considering that I didn't have a car at the moment, it was very convenient.

I entered the cool building and shivered slightly. It was cold outside, so why did it need to be cold inside, too?

"Ice cream, ice cream," I muttered to myself, heading over to the freezer aisle. I stared through the glass.

I wasn't sure which ice cream to buy. I preferred vanilla, but what if he liked chocolate? Or cookie dough? Cookies and cream was good, too. Maybe strawberry was his favorite?

A young-looking girl, maybe about fourteen or fifteen, joined me in front of the freezers. She took one look at our reflection and nearly jumped ten feet into the air.

"Oh my God," she whispered. Her voice rose to a near-yell, "You're Carter Riley!"

I raised an eyebrow in shock. "Uh, how do you know my name?"

"What?" She laughed at me. "Literally everyone knows your name." She turned around and called out to a girl further down the aisle. "Melissa! I'm meeting Carter!"

"Carter?" The other girl jogged up to where we were. "Riley?" She inspected me. "Oh my God Julie, that is her."

"You're so beautiful and perfect," Julie gushed. "You and Liam are so cute together. I ship Cariam, like, so hard."

"Cariam?" I nearly took a step back.

Melissa hit Julie on the arm. "It's Larter. Duh."

I wrinkled my nose. "Larter?"

Julie rolled her eyes. "Anyway," She took out her phone. "Can we get a picture please?"

"Okay..." I replied, but they hardly gave me a chance to answer. Julie held her phone up and Melissa got in the picture. I smiled widely and wrapped my arm around one of the girls as the picture was snapped.

"Thank you so much!" Melissa gave me a hug. "I hope you and Liam get married!"

"Uh, y-you're welcome," I said, "But I don't think-"

"Tell Liam we said hi! We love you, forget what the rest of the fandom says." Julie also gave me a hug before tugging Melissa away from me. "Bye, Carter!"

I waved to the two girls, who were now disappearing down the aisle. "Bye!"

When they were gone, I turned back to the freezer and got two gallons of Neapolitan ice cream.

Maybe One Direction fans weren't that bad after all.

.

.

.

A/N sorry for the late update! please vote and comment what you think and feedback or whatever! it means a lot and thank you for so many reads and votes :) xx